Newbie on the move!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie_lynn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there!

I just recently started an aquarium when a friend of mine from work moved across the country... and left his betta fish behind, with me. Initially, I took him in because I felt bad, and knew the little guy needed someone to adopt him. But I quickly grew to love my new betta (Bonaventure) and his great personality, so it broke my heart when he got sick and died several months after he came into my life, before I could figure out what was wrong (and while I was still too new to the hobby to figure out what to do for him in time). :facepalm:

Even sadder, I had just purchased him an upgrade -- a five gallon tank, complete with plants and better equipment. I was just waiting for it to finish cycling when Bonaventure died. But I couldn't bear to take the new tank down. So, I left it up, but algae started growing... enter my three Amano shrimp: Larry, Moe, and Curly. I didn't think I would get attached to shrimp... but, here I am several months later, and I am quite attached to the little guys and their quirky little personalities.

At the time, I only purchased the three shrimp because I knew I might be moving away for grad school this fall, and I wasn't sure if I would be staying in CA or not. I figured if I stayed in CA or deferred a year, I would get another betta fish then. :fish1:

Perhaps somewhat humorously, I now don't want to put a fish as aggressive as a betta in with my little Amanos for fear they would get hurt. Added to this, it turns out that I really will be moving across the country in August.

I'm joining this forum in the hopes of getting advice as to whether there is a way to move my shrimp all the way to MO with me safely, and if so, on how to do so. :confused:

Alternatively, if 4 days of travel will just be too much for the little guys, I am looking for advice on how to best re-home them to a good, peaceful aquarium. I want to know they are well taken care of if I have to leave them behind (and it turns out to be much harder than I originally realized to find a good and happy home for them).

Anyway, that's my introduction... I am hoping to learn from some of you much more experienced fish keepers about how to best handle these challenges.

Best,
Jamie

Introducing Larry, Moe, and Curly

This little video introduces my Amano shrimp playing in the output filter -- one of their favorite ways to play. (y)

Trying again

Trying again, because I don't think the video loaded the last time... if this doesn't work again, I might need someone to tell me how to do this.

Thank you - here's the video!

Thank you, Fresh2o! That makes sense. I was trying to use the "Add video" function at the bottom of the screen, but this seems like an easier way to do it.

So, finally, meet Larry, Moe, and Curly. :)

https://youtu.be/CsABjFTDDh8

I'm not going ask which one is which. ?Fun video! Thanks for posting that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yah, they do like to play there but not usually all three at once! They were showing off and having a good ol' time that day. :popcorn: Not sure why, but they seem to enjoy the challenge of swimming "upstream." They also like hanging upside down from leaves and other plants in the tank. And, of course, eating... eating... always eating algae and other plant remains from around the tank.

As to telling them apart... ;)

I can't tell my two females apart most of the time. The male (li'l Moe) is so much smaller that I can always recognize him.

Back
Top Bottom