Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Newbie saying Hi...

Hi! This is my first real tank. We had a goldfish/danio/tetra tank for many many years when I was a kid, and when I was a teenager I had a little 5gal tank of bala's that didn't last very long...

I started this one originally as a way to keep baitfish alive between fishing outings, but regular fathead minnows are incredibly dirty. So now that I'm very low on minnows (about 6 left), I went and got three Pictus Cats from Walmart. They're doing alright so far.

Still, I need more shelters, I think... The biggest cat (which I've affectionately named "Thor") kicked all the other fish out of the resin viking helmet shelter and took it over... The rest look like they sit and watch Thor just waiting for him to vacate so they can take the helm, but every time they get close, Thor comes rushing back to kick ***... :P

- CK

Old 05-08-2015, 03:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceekay View Post
Hi! This is my first real tank. We had a goldfish/danio/tetra tank for many many years when I was a kid, and when I was a teenager I had a little 5gal tank of bala's that didn't last very long...

I started this one originally as a way to keep baitfish alive between fishing outings, but regular fathead minnows are incredibly dirty. So now that I'm very low on minnows (about 6 left), I went and got three Pictus Cats from Walmart. They're doing alright so far.

Still, I need more shelters, I think... The biggest cat (which I've affectionately named "Thor") kicked all the other fish out of the resin viking helmet shelter and took it over... The rest look like they sit and watch Thor just waiting for him to vacate so they can take the helm, but every time they get close, Thor comes rushing back to kick ***... :P

- CK
Welcome CK. I hate to say this, but you don't seem like the typical fishkeeper that I've been associated with over the years. If I ever had a fish die on me, I was devastated. Good luck with the fish you buy at Walmart. Oh well, "newbies" have to start somewhere, even if to raise fish for bait to kill bigger fish. Resin viking helmet shelter? Huh?

Old 05-08-2015, 05:59 AM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi, welcome to AA
Old 05-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyFinny View Post
I hate to say this, but you don't seem like the typical fishkeeper that I've been associated with over the years. If I ever had a fish die on me, I was devastated.
The cats and pleco, I would be... The minnows? Nah... I've never known a minnow to last more than a week outside the huge stainless constant-flow minnow sinks or in the wild.... At $3.50 for about 3 dozen, they're not exactly an investment and I'm probably the first one to put them in an aquarium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyFinny View Post
Good luck with the fish you buy at Walmart. Oh well, "newbies" have to start somewhere, even if to raise fish for bait to kill bigger fish. Resin viking helmet shelter? Huh?
I'm pretty much exclusively a catch-and-release fisherman. I may decide to keep a few cats or some walleye for eating, but usually I toss them back; it's more fun to catch them than it is to deal with cleaning and cooking them. :P

Thanks for the well-wishing! Here's a pic of two of the cats (the third was still swimming against the glass out of frame), you can see most of the little resin viking helmet behind Thor:

- CK
Old 05-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #5

Argh dangit! I knew this would happen....

Just got a test strip kit (as well as shrimp pellets the cats don't eat and a new little resin shelter), and now I gotta get back to Petco to get some ammonia treatment and some nitrite treatment and a heater... Also, I've been pricing out tanks too...

I knew the minnow project would be boring and suck and that I'd be glad when they were gone.... But these pictus cats caught my heart and now I'm all up into this tank hobby! I wanted a tank and a pump, now I've got a whole setup and need MORE for these poor little dudes! D:

Also, would there be any reason the pump side would be where all the fish hang out and the bubbler/plant side be a dead zone? I'll post a pic when I get back from Petco...

- CK
Old 05-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

another person snared

Anyone can keep a cat Fishkeeping I think more of a challenge.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #7

Yep... Went for ammonia treatment, came back with stress coat, a better resin shelter, a heater, three tiny Kyoto grass plants, and a thermometer...

Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #8

Hey CK, sorry I sounded snippy. Was cranky and needed sleep. Nice tank - now I get the helmet reference.

My Avatar is a King salmon - took this pic at the Pike Place Market in downtown Seattle where the vendors throw salmon 20-30 feet to other vendors to wrap for customers. I love fishing, having caught lots of silvers and king salmon, but released. I could never eat a fish that I beat on the head to death. But I'll pay $24.95 a pound for the ones in the grocery store (during the very short season).

Thor is really cool looking - I'm sure he has a macho personality, too.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Yep... Went for ammonia treatment, came back with stress coat, a better resin shelter, a heater, three tiny Kyoto grass plants, and a thermometer...

You best bet for countering the effect of ammonia and nitrite are water changes.
The Kyoto grass is most likely a bog plant and may eventually die with continued submersion. But that may take some time. The folks at the store rand not to share that fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I believe Kyoto is only semi aquatic and will not survive submersed. Consult the planted section to be sure.

Since no one has mentioned it be careful with handling pictus cats, they secrete a toxin that can cause swelling in humans. Ideally obviously you wouldn't touch them but just saying should it happen. Make sure temp stays stable at 76-79įF.

Tags
newb, newbie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com