Newbie to aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubblehead

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My aquarium is 29g.

I had to do emergency transfer from 125gal outside pond to inside aquarium due to weather.

I have 2 orandas and 1 koi. My aquarium was only up for 24 hours. We have well water, hard ph 7.8. I had to treat for parasite. Now carbon filter is back in tank. I've been doing 25 percent water changes and use quick state and special blend.

The tank is milky white cloudy.

Ammonia 7 to 8. No nitrites or nitrates yet. Tank has been up two weeks now.

Fish appear to be happy, not gasping or swimming at top. Feeding well, i.e. every 2 days sinking pellets and only what they can eat in one minute.

No debris noted with gravel vac. I have unground and canister filter.

This morning noticed white stringy stuff on fake plant.

Is tank ever going to clear up and i assume tank is cycling.

Thanks for help. I have limited Internet access for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes there is clouding at the beginning.

When you say ammonia 7-8 you mean yellow in the API color chart as in barely any ammonia showing up?

How long are the fish and Oranda body size - like a marble or a ping pong ball, golf ball, racket ball, tennis ball???

Read through the article in my signature link for some useful additional info. And read the link article(s) for Fish In Cycling.

What kind of parasite?

GF and Koi are better off fed a little more frequently, though you could easily get a water quality problem from that in such a small tank space.

My ammonia is dark green hence the small water changes. Koi is bout 6 in and oranda belly are a bit smaller than a ping pong ball but bigger than a large marble

Dont know name of paracite the aquarium storesaid they thought that's what it was so gave me meds. Only on my gold oranda white dots on wenand neck. Basically cleared up with 2 treatments. Did not see it in pond only when moved did i notice it. Also when getting pond down for winter drain found little worms like leeches in gravel. Never saw them when vac gravel before. The pump had been off for a week???

Search for pics of detritus worms, and planaria see if any of those match. Some worm things are beneficial to a properly functioning cycle in a pond (or tank). Some aren't.

A couple of things.

Those fish are too large to live for 4-6 months in a 29G tank.

As a future thought, next time if you have a pond, keep some aquarium filter pads in the filter area if you have one and if you don't use a plastic water plant basket (also can use a plastic filter basket which is used /sits in the water around the pump - for an evaporative cooler) under the circulating area where there is decent water flow to build and maintain a BB colony to change into your tank if that is how you winter them.

You need a 46G-55G tank for those guys and a much bigger filtration set up. 10x tank size per gallon turn over rate.

If your ammonia is 7 or 8 and dark green you need to get it down to under 1 - ideally .25 or less.

Lots of pwc!!!!!!!!! Keep doing it till the ammonia level is low.

Back
Top Bottom