newbie to aquarium world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TileCracker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm Dave, I just got a 55 gallon tetra tank. I would Like to know opinions on my plan.
Freshwater, under gravel filter, 2 tubes with 2 power pumps aquaclear 30s.
This will be installed on a bar top in a pass through opening from kitchen/living room. I have installed steel brackets under the overhang. The tank is 12" deep, so there will be approx. 6 " of over hang.
Do you think this will support the weight?
Do I need a bio filter with media and sponge?
I don't want to hang a big box filter, since visible on both sides. And I don't want to do a canister. I want to conceal as much as possible.
Thank you for your input....

Attachments

• IMG_20140416_115120.jpg
    IMG_20140416_115120.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20140416_115148.jpg
    IMG_20140416_115148.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20140416_115315.jpg
    IMG_20140416_115315.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 67
A fish tank full of water that size weighs around 625 lbs . It would look nice there but I'd deffentialy worry bout the weight on that wall

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello Dave, Welcome to AA!. As previously mentioned that tank filled will weight over 625lbs not including your substrate etc. but I would think that as long as those brackets are solid it shouldn't be an issue seeing as the counter top itself looks like granite and taking the lions share of the weight.

Yeah, that does concern me some. I mounted heavy brackets under the countertop, bolted to the studs. It should hold, and it will look awesome. Its worth the risk.
Any opinions on the filtration?
Thanks

Yeah, that does concern me some. I mounted heavy brackets under the countertop, bolted to the studs. It should hold, and it will look awesome. Its worth the risk.
Any opinions on the filtration?
Thanks

I agree it is going to look amazing when its complete!. I have nothing I can offer in way of filtration as I use canister filters but if you don't get a response t that question soon go ask in the DIY section they will definitely have the answer

I'm excited to see it all set up and running! :) I'm into canisters and HOBs, so I couldn't tell you about under gravel filters. I haven't used one of those in ages.

Yeah, the under gravel method seems to be a bit old school. The only reason I'm using it is to eliminate any HOB or tubes running out and down under.
I saw a cool way of making your own bio filter on YouTube with a hollow resin rock, about 7" tall. He drilled holes in the top for air to escape, bigger holes in the back for suction cups, a hole in back for air tube with a T fitting. Filled it with a media, used the 3 sponges in the bottom, fine, medium and course, and stuck it to the inside of the glass. I suppose I could put a carbon filter in there, since I will be using the power pumps on both under gravel tubes.
I don't know, should work out.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom