Newbie to Saltwater FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since, this question keeps popping up in my head, I was wondering if I need more LR for my tank. What d'ya guys think?

This is how my shrimp look like after 2 days

img_929938_0_a277ee33176473357cc6d310314cf764.jpg

img_929938_1_d913db9ab5f38b8c451e70304124be2a.jpg

How long does it take from here onward until I have to do PWC?

You`ll see your ammonia rise and fall then nitrites will rise and fall and when both are at 0 then do a PWC to lower your nitrates.

Today's readings 12/7/08

Ph: 7.8
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 20
SG: 1.023
Temp: 80F

What's the highest your ammonia read at since the shrimp was added? After 4 days, I'm hoping it got up to a higher number.

And I do think you have enuf rock for now. Got good porous (sp?) stuff. Good nooks and crannies for bacteria to thirve.

HI Ray,

That was the highest readings I got 1.0, I don't know how high it's supposed to be and that's after 4 days the shrimp was added. I actually added 5lbs of LR, so now I have about 30lbs of LR on my tank and that's it, now it actually looks balance, I will need to do some aquascaping again when I do the PWC.

Today I checked my shrimp just got yellow so I hope I'm getting there.

Your live rock, if already cured and established might be keeping your ammonia readings down. The LR might already have ammonia consuming bacteria on it. Tell me more about the origin of your LR.

It may be time to remove the shrimp since I'm sure it's starting to decompose by now and it didn't get the ammonia readings up to 4 or 5.0 like I was hoping for.

Now, if the LR you had is already full of good bacteria, that's a good thing as the cycle won't last that long.

HI Ray,

I dunno if it has good bacteria and yes I indeed have the cured LR, that's why the ammonia readings never spiked up. The shrimp is about to decompose, I thought we have to let it decompose? Was I wrong?

I don't know about the origins, I kinda have LR from different stores :(, I always picked the one I like, I know half is Fiji, but I dunno about the other half.

Go ahead and remove the shrimp. After the ammonia and nitrite gets to 0, let's do the PWC and add a small clean up crew. Thought about what fish you ultimately want. Can likely add the first after the PWC and another day or two of testing to make sure all is stable IMO.

Hi Ray,

Thank you so much for such a quick reply. My tank has only been running for a week, so I wasn't sure, but since you said so, I will remove the shrimp and start checking on the readings again. Once Ammonia and Nitrite is 0, I'll do PWC and update on the progress.

So far, these are the fishes I had in mind but not making exact choices yet, let me know what would you recommend.
- a pair of Firefish
- a Mandarin Goby
- a Royal Gramma

What would you recommend for the clean up crew for a tank my size?

Thank you in advance

Mandarin is not a goby and won't be a good choice in a young tank. They eat only copepods and the tank needs to mature for almost a year with decent amount of liverock to sustain them. Otherwise they die slowly but surely. No clowns??? :)
I thought everybody wanted a clown in their SW tank.

Prolly start off with a handfull of hermit crabs and snails. Some may say less depending on the rock. I see you've got 30lbs. As the tank matures and you have more fish, then you can increase you CUC.

Hahahha, were you surprised that I don't have clownfish on my wanted list? :) I kinda pity them if I don't have anemone for them to play on, so that's why I want to avoid having it, but we'll see.

What's is CUC by the way?

I heard astrea snails is better than turbo snails, is that true?

Ahhh, it's not listed in the Acronym, I think it should :)

Thanks Melosu :), btw luv your pinkspot goby...

OOH no, I come home today and when I was about to pick up the shrimp as it turned yellow, my rocks now start turning a little yellowish like it has an algae, I'm not sure what it is, should I remove the shrimp still?

img_930628_0_f2c281061b2bf18aeb5b0f4dc6f569a6.jpg

img_930628_1_13b77827561bf36094105849a3e46968.jpg

Please advise :| - I'm confused

Last edited:
Thanks Melosu :), btw luv your pinkspot goby...

Thanks, He`s a camera hog.

Your rock will most likely have diatoms on them soon. This is a brown dusty type algea. Dont worry it will be gone a few weeks down the road once the silicates in your tank get used up. That`s why it`s looking yellowish and brownish.

Woah... thanks for the fast reply Melosu, so do you think I should continue with the cycle or remove the shrimp completely?

Yes you must continue with the cycle. How about telling us what your ammonia and nitrite readings are today?

Readings for today

12/08/08

PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 20
Sg: 1.023
Temp: 80F

Removed the shrimp cause it's start to get smelly and Innovator in the other thread told me to remove it just like austindad, so how should I continue with the cycle?

Back
Top Bottom