Newbie to Saltwater FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, there's no need to add anymore ammonia. I'm thinking that shrimp (looked like a medium sized at least) in only a 26g tank should have gotten the ammonia reading higher. The fact that it didn't leads me to believe the LR was cured and from an established tank - which already had some of the good, ammonia consuming bacterial load already.

It sucked up the major ammonia spike and is still "working". I say let the 'trite and ammonia zero out and consider the tank cycled and ready for the pwc, clean up crew and a single fish addition. When you do, I'd still watch the ammonia with the new fish and likely daily, but light feeding. If no increase, then I'd think my guess that your cycle is already finishing would be correct.

Dice roll???? I betting it's not. Anyone else??

When I said continue the cycle I mean let the process go on. It`s fine to take the shrimp out. I wasnt speaking about that. I was just saying let the ammonia rise and fall and let the nitrites rise and fall and then do a PWC. Just continue the process of cycling.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I completely took the shrimp out last nite and will start reading again tonight.

Thank you guys for helping me out so much.

Readings for today 12/9/08
PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
SG: 1.024
Temp: 80F

Maybe time for a clean up crew. Also, don't feel pity for a clownfish without an anenome. There are plenty fishkeepers who have an anenome and the clowns never pay it any attention anyway. They can be totally happy without one. I've had a pair for 6 years and they are fat and happy.

What's the first fish you want? May be time to add him too. But as I said before when you do add a fish and start feeding, watch the ammonia to be sure. Nitrates too.

Keep plenty of SW mix handy and aireated at this time for PWCs.

Also, if you don't add any fish anytime soon, you're gonna have to throw a bit of food into the tank every 3 or 4 days maybe so that the bacteria established during the cyle has an ammonia source to consume.

Sounds like you're on your way! :)

Ray, what do you mean "keep plenty of SW mix handy and aireated at this time for PWCs? I usually get the 5 gallon bucket water from LFS, never really mix anything before.

Also, do you know if I should do 33% or 20% for the PWC?

Wow, if you said that I don't need anemone, I will find my "Clooney" that's what I plan to name my clown fish if I ever have one :). AFter that I want to get a pair of firefish, that's probably next month or so. What kind of CUCs do you think I should get in the first place? I saw many diatoms on my LS and LR today, that's okay rite?

Once you start adding livestock, in case anything goes wrong (ammonia or nitrates go up) you'll need to do water changes, could be frequent depending on the problem. It's just that you don't want to get caught in an emergency without new SW on hand.

What size is the tank again? maybe 2 or 3 snails and 5 hermits to start with would do.
Diatoms are a pert of the normal process new tanks go thru. It'll disappear.

I'm thinking 25% for the PWC. And still I'd have another 25% ready to go right after that just in case.

Maybe Clooney, being a damsel anyway could stand the "new" tank issues IF somethig comes up. Clowns are a damsel anyway. Hardy fish for the most part. What kinda clown you thinking about?

Off to my office Christmas party. Another after that one. :)

I'll check in with you tonight - if I'm sober enuf. :) :)

hahaha isn't it too early for a Christmas party? It's still 2 weeks to go until Christmas Eve :p

Anyway, I'm planning to keep an extra 5 gallon bucket in case something happens, so thanks for the head up.

My tank is 26 gallons. I heard astrea snails is better than turbo snails, is that correct?

I'm thinking of having percula or the osc. either one, I'm very particular in picking the fish, need to be sure that fish kinda look at me and says "have me in your tank".

Should I wait for a days or two after PWC before putting the CUC and Clooney or can I put them the same day I put the PWC?

Thank you Ray!

I just said 33% for the first PWC. Your nitrates will be quite high and a 1/3 PWC will knock that down. After that I would do 15-20% PWC weekly or every other week.

One big stupid question. When doing the PWC, do I need to make sure the new water is in the same temperature as the water in the tank before I pour it in?

I agree if you had fish and esp. corals then yes it needs to be the same temp but on cycling I dont see why it would matter. I would try to keep it close anyway. within 5 or 6 degrees.

Thanks Melosu, that's good to know, so once I get my livestock I have to heat the water about the same temperature before pouring it in while doing the PWC.

Whatever you mix your water and salt in I would also keep a heater and a PH in there. A PH to keep good flow in to keep the mixing going on a heater set to what your tank temp is.

Thanks for the advice Melosu :)

These are the pictures after I did the PWC and I add some inhabitants :) and redo the aquascaping as well.

img_931301_0_e515765ecb3d8ed517a5d18c85ad4b47.jpg

Nassarius Snails (TWO)
Astrea Snails (ONE)
Hermit Crabs (FOUR)

I think I need more CUC, but the store that I went doesn't have much choice, so I probably look at another LFS tomorrow.

Readings for today - 12/9/08
PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
SG: 1.023
Temp: 79F

Back
Top Bottom