Newbie to Saltwater FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bawel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

I finally "brave" enough to introduce myself here :). I posted one thread in the FOWLR for lights cause I thought I was going to get 16 gallon tank, but when I picked it up, it was 26 gallons, so no more issue at all, but I hope I'm welcome here :) for I need some help and maybe if you could answer some questions that I have in mind:)

These are what I have so far to start the cycle on my FOWLR:
26g bow-front aquarium
2x24 Current USA Nova Extreme
20lbs live sand/crushed coral
100W Heater
50W EKIP Thermopump
EHEIM Ecco 2232/2231 (not sure, it's up to 35gallon filter)
Hydor Koralia 3 Powerhead
Aqua Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Kit
Hydrometer
Thermometer
*thinking of getting about 30lbs of Cured Live Rock.
*thinking of getting refractometer

Is there anything else do you think I'm missing before I start the cycle with the saltwater from the LFS?

Any advice would be great.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving in Advance :)

BaweL

Welcome to the site. Glad to have ya. Definately buy the Refractometer And Definately skip the crushed coral and go with just sand And when you say start the cycle with the saltwater from the LFS what exactly do you mean? please check out the articles section for cycling info. If you get Cured rock straight from another tank there should be a minimal cylce but depending on how long the rock is out of the water. Good luck

The article on cycling the tank is in our articles section. Can't do it with water from the lfs.

Since you're going fish only, I'm guessing you might have some messy eaters??? Maybe even the kinda fish you can't have with hermits and snails? Even if you're not going that route, I agree that you should reconsider the crushed coral. After a while, you'll have nitrate issues. Waste gets accumulated in all those little nooks and crannies crushed coral provides. You can vacuum aragonite sand a lot easier, Muuuch easier to maintain over the years. Can't tell you how many folks found out the hard way and had to change out the substrate after the tank and inhabitants were already established. Much harder then.

Good luck!

Welcome to AA !:wave:
And to 2nd Austinsdad rethink the crushed coral, I myself went with it at first,I had cyno bacteria algae problems galore. Once I decided it was a bad idea it took a month of Saturdays to convert slowly to sand bottom. Nearly lost a fish in the whole thing. The 26 Bow sounds real nice, I love the appearance of the bow tanks... And I have the Nova extreme T5 lights and like them, thinking about adding another right behind the one I have.
enjoy

Woahhh... thanks for the respond, lucky I haven't poured the water in...

I'm actually not sure of what I have, whether it's crushed coral or live sand, how would you tell the difference? For me, it looks like crushed coral but then again I haven't really seen the real thing before pouring into the water.

Also what I meant by water from LFS means the saltwater that you can buy in 5gallon thing from the LFS. I've already checked the cycling, but since everyone has different size, it's kinda difficult to tell what's the best for you. Thanks so much for the input, I will update you with what I have, I'm going to get them ready for setup by Friday, I'm so excited with this project :)

BaweL

Thank you Everyone... for the warm welcome and advices.
I finally started the cycle today, yay!!!

Here are some pics of my tank:

img_928417_0_e79a0586b927308f015a79c00b2b5814.jpg

img_928417_1_1b32d9f67e53a8fab1c6998393b56965.jpg

img_928417_2_a542c20569197924d5ee18d2fbfd7b11.jpg

BaweL

Woah, thank you austindad, I almost forgot to post that testing results :)

Day 2 - 12/1/08
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH: 8.2
SG: 1.022
Temp: 78F

One quick question: How often do you do this testing while the tank is still cycling? every other day or everyday or even every 3 days? Please advise

Thank you

BaweL

If you got cured rock you may need to add some grocery store shrimp to your tank to get the ammonia started. It looks as if you dont have an ammonia source yet.

Aw. yes as Catmel Stated One good Size shrimp to get your ammonia source started should do the trick.... Your tank looks great.... just take a look at

Fishless Cycle

haahahhaa, dang Austindad, you win :) and you saved my time of what I thought the cycle had begun :p *knock myself on the wall*

I finally got my raw shrimp, it's headless shrimp, it doesn't make any difference rite? :) I hope not, there's no real seafood market nearby :'(

Thank you guys. I will do the testing today after I drop the shrimp last nite. Thank you Tank2379 for the compliment :)

Melosu, every few days is okay? Yay! :)

Okay, first reading after dropping the raw shrimp yesterday.

12/4/08
Temp: 80F
SG: 1.022
PH: 8.2
NH3 (Ammonia) : 0.5
NO2: 0
NO3: 5.0

I hope these are getting where I'm supposed to be.

Back
Top Bottom