Newbie Who Has Already Benefited From This Site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boilerwxman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I am an aquarium, fish newbie. Yeah sure I had fish as a kid but we had no clue what we were doing and that carried over to being an adult and a dad. This sight has already been very helpful too me in the last few days.

I live in Twin Falls, ID and 3 weeks ago received 3 young Mollies from our neighbors who had babies (2 Dalmatians and 1 Silver) all three range from 1/2 in (Silver) to smaller (Dalmatians). Because of getting these fish we went fish tank shopping. Not seeing a 10 gal in stock we went and got a 5 gal. Excited about being fish owners and mainly because these fish are for our sons and we wanted to get these fish out of a 1.5 gallon tank.

After getting the tank setting it up we put the fish in right away because well it says you can. Of course once you buy fish you look at other fish (keep in mind I have not found this site nor have I learned the importance of cycling the tank) After a week we thought let's add more fish. We got 2 fancy male guppies and then a singular neon tetra. We also got a make beta for a beta block someone gave us.

We ended up having one of the male guppies die. Still don't know exactly why could have been the water and stress but not sure it got real bloated. So took the fish back and exchanged it. So at one point in our small 5 gallon tank had 2 male fancy guppies, 1 neon tetra and 3 young mollies. Mostly it felt like it was a good tank but then I got smart and did research.

Few days later realized this tank is TOO SMALL. So this past weekend I made the decision to get a new tank, while at the LFS (for us this is Petsmart) I met a woman who KNEW what she was doing. As I was asking about setting up the new tank when should I transfer fish over to the bigger 15 gallon she was like you need to wait and go slow. Need to cycle the tank. This made me do my research and from doing my research especially here I realized how ignorant and harmful I had been to my fish.

Long story short to bring you up to speed. I took back the 2 male guppies and the neon. The tank was too small, the male guppies were fighting (I decided I cared more about their survival and well being than being in my small tank) the neon I took back since it was one and thought it wasn't good to keep it singular so I am back to where I started with 3 young mollies in a 5 gallon tank. (This hasn't finished cycling yet and I have made some major mistakes but I am now testing the water and watching the ammonia and nitrite levels) A male beta in a beta cube and an empty 15 gal column tank that I am trying to slowly fishlessly cycle.

I am a novice but learned so much in the last few days by reading online. So here are my questions and hopefully goals. 1) the fishless cycle? I have read the "(almost) Complete Guide to Fishless Cycling" here on this forum. It has been a huge help but I can't find pure ammonia in my small town and not sure I want to drive 1 to 2 hours to get some. This I need help. Also I need to know what I should be doing watching as the small young mollies are in the 5 gallon tank waiting to be moved to the new bigger tank. Also I am trying to decide on what to eventually stock the 15 gallon tank with once it has cycled.

As for the 5 gallon tank once the 15 gallon tank is done is what to do with it. I am planning on putting the male beta in there. Get a couple of neons to go with it and get some silk or real plants...

Any advice to this newbie would be great. I already love this place and have the app. This has saved me more mistakes than I have already made and I hope from this point on I can be a good and responsible fish owner.

Back
Top Bottom