Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sorry just re read your post and thought of more.

The filter shouldn't be changed or even touched really during a cycle. The point of a cycle is to let the bacteria in the filtration system build up to create what we call good bacteria. Good bacteria changes ammonia to nitrite then nitrate. You'll help the levels get down and keep them down with water changes to be safe for live aquatic animals. Once the cycle completes you should have enough good bacteria to take care of (ammonia and nitrite) the bio load. At this point the only way to lower nitrate levels is by water changes and good tank maintenance. I would recommend after the cycle to do two 25% water changes a week. If you notice its not keeping nitrate levels under control ( as close to 0) then you'll need to raise the % you change out.

There was something I was going to add and I forgot if and when I remember ill re post.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes thats brilliant advice thank you. I havent had chance to read the article u linked to me as i have been in work. As soon as i get hone and can take the infornation in properly.

Water change is now next on ny things to do.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes i an now using a touchscreen phone and my fingers hit the wrong buttons

Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSweeney View Post
Yes thats brilliant advice thank you. I havent had chance to read the article u linked to me as i have been in work. As soon as i get hone and can take the infornation in properly.

Water change is now next on ny things to do.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes i an now using a touchscreen phone and my fingers hit the wrong buttons
Good luck

Tags
newbie, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com