Newbie with a few questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeeSweeney

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am very new to marine fishkeeping. I have a 35ltr/10 gal setup. It is a biube tank that i have converted to saltwater. I use RSO (i think its called that) water that i buy from my local fish shop. It will be a fish only tank which i have stocked with cured live rock. It has been running for about 4 weeks and it currently houses 3 hermit crabs and 2 snails. The ammonia spike has been present for about 2 weeks with no signs of change yet.

I have seen that this first stage of the cycle lasts between 4 & 8 weeks as a general rule, but when does the countdown start? Is it from the time the tank is set up? Or from when the ammonia first spikes?

I was advised to add clean up crew by my local fish shop but since viewing other posts i am now worried that i was advised to do this for their financial gains rather than the health of my tank.

With the ammonia currently spiking does anyone know the likely hood of my crabs and snails coming to any harm? What would you recommend i do to reduce any potential risk?

Any advice or pointers in the right direction are greatly welcomed and appreciated. Many thanks in Advance

Oh and sorry to be rude. I didnt even think to introduce myself. Im Lee im 21 yrs old and this is my first saltwater tank. I have little experiance but am trying to do as much research as possible to ensure mistakes are minimised but with this being a new venture i am sure they are inevitable. I live in manchester england and i have little boy who is 8 months old.

Thanks Andrew, ammonia is at around1.0ppm sometimes slightly lower i believe thats ok but not too sure. I have not seen any nitrites but Nitates seem to be at about 10-20ppm. Do you think i need to take any action with regards to the health of my snails and crabs?

Thanks Andrew, ammonia is at around1.0ppm sometimes slightly lower i believe thats ok but not too sure. I have not seen any nitrites but Nitates seem to be at about 10-20ppm. Do you think i need to take any action with regards to the health of my snails and crabs?

How are you.getting an ammonia source? Are you adding ammonia from a bottle? Dead something or live critters only?

live critters, snails crabs, anything in my live rock and i am also adding a few pellets every few days

Water change after water change to keep ammonia levels at 0. Then once there is no more spikes then add more live stuff, like a fish. Ammonia will probably start coming up again because you added more of a load. So again water changes after water changes to get it down.

i did read that i shouldnt change the water so i havent done any changes as of yet as it would remove some of the beneficial bacteria, i have changed my filter to see if this would help. It does make sense though if it reduces the ammonia, how often do you think i should be doing water changes?

i did read that i shouldnt change the water so i havent done any changes as of yet as it would remove some of the beneficial bacteria, i have changed my filter to see if this would help. It does make sense though if it reduces the ammonia, how often do you think i should be doing water changes?

Water changes during a fish in cycle all depends on how the water tests. If its above 0 then you need to be doing a water change or changes to get it down. High ammonia and nitrite levels will badly stress the fish and possibly kill them. During this time the filter is the key part that holds the good bacteria and I wouldn't start changing or cleaning it till it completes the cycle. So in a day you may be doing 2 or 3 water changes. I'd start now with a 50% water change to get the ammonia down. Then tonight re test if its still high or still tests the same then do a bigger % water change.

Hope you understand all that lol :).

Sorry just re read your post and thought of more.

The filter shouldn't be changed or even touched really during a cycle. The point of a cycle is to let the bacteria in the filtration system build up to create what we call good bacteria. Good bacteria changes ammonia to nitrite then nitrate. You'll help the levels get down and keep them down with water changes to be safe for live aquatic animals. Once the cycle completes you should have enough good bacteria to take care of (ammonia and nitrite) the bio load. At this point the only way to lower nitrate levels is by water changes and good tank maintenance. I would recommend after the cycle to do two 25% water changes a week. If you notice its not keeping nitrate levels under control ( as close to 0) then you'll need to raise the % you change out.

There was something I was going to add and I forgot if and when I remember ill re post. :)

Yes thats brilliant advice thank you. I havent had chance to read the article u linked to me as i have been in work. As soon as i get hone and can take the infornation in properly.

Water change is now next on ny things to do.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes i an now using a touchscreen phone and my fingers hit the wrong buttons

Yes thats brilliant advice thank you. I havent had chance to read the article u linked to me as i have been in work. As soon as i get hone and can take the infornation in properly.

Water change is now next on ny things to do.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes i an now using a touchscreen phone and my fingers hit the wrong buttons

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom