Newbie with a Nano Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I recently started a 12 gallon Nano Cube DX for my 2 year old son to enjoy. I quickly discovered that this would be a new favorite hobby for me!

So I have a stock 12 gallon nano cube, as I stated, that I got from my brother in law. I decided to stock it immediately with some Glo light tetras and Cory cats. I started developing a brown algae and invested in a plecostomus. Hopefully this will help.

I plan to frequent this site for advice and to gain knowledge, then provide knowledge to the coming newbies.

Any advice or input on my Nano Cube would be greatly appreciated as I begin this exciting and rewarding hobby.

Best regards,
Wilks

I'm not an expert by any means, but that Pleco is going to grow far too large for that 12 gallon. If you can, I'd return it or rehome it.

I was planning to keep the Pleco for as long as I can, then give him to a friend that has a large tank. How long until he gets too big?

All I know is he's a little less than two inches currently. Black with some white spots and has a white stripe on his tail fin. Looks really cool!

I was planning to keep the Pleco for as long as I can, then give him to a friend that has a large tank. How long until he gets too big?

It depends on what pleco you got, if it's a common just return it, better to get rid of it ASAP

If a bristlenose I don't recommend keeping it in a 10 forever. that tank will stunt the growth, and unless you plan on getting a bigger tank for it within 6-8 months get rid of it. It may clean algae but the pros of having one for the tank are greatly outweighed by how much waste they produce. A big bioload for a ten gallon if you ask me.

There aren't many plecs suitable for a 10 gallon, the only one that may work is a rio negro/clown pleco. They stay small, but will not clean your algae, as they will be on wood all day.

If you want an algae cleaner, wait till your tank is mature and established and get yourself an otocinclus catfish.

Trying to do it from the app. Not sure if this will work.

That's a bristlenose, you should be fine with him for 6-8 months, since he's still a juvenile. My 6 month old is already 3.5 inches, so that's a good basis of how big yours will get before needing to get rehomed to your buddies tank.

Excellent news! He was only $4 and thought he'd be a great little algae helper. I plan to move him when he's too big. I may get attached to him and just buy a bigger tank though. Lol

Excellent news! He was only $4 and thought he'd be a great little algae helper. I plan to move him when he's too big. I may get attached to him and just buy a bigger tank though. Lol

Excellent :) they're personable little guys with an aggressive attitude while they're young, so you might see him lash out at your other fish. Just be wary of that.

I think since you already seem to be attached to your little pleco buddy & seem to want to keep the little guy, & since you did say that you really are loving aquarium keeping & want to continue, how about making the nano your little boy's aquarium & you invest in a 30 or 35 gal. For yourself ? Then you could keep your pleco & have oodles of fun researching & choosing new fish to keep your pleco company & give yourself a wonderful gift too. I am 51 years old & been keeping aquariums on my own since I was 10. There is so much fun & so many interesting things to aquarium kerping. Like decor, Landscaping, breeding, filtration, sand vs gravel, choosing the cool fish you want. Wait, you'll see, you to will end up with more than one tank. Just like I did when I really caught fish fever. Lol. I now have a 35 gal. Tall, a 55gal., & a 125 gal. And as soon as my husband & I build our new house next year, we are adding a new 300 gal. I cant wait! You might as well wrap your mind around it, your hooked just like the rest of us, lol. Let me know how it all works out for you & baby. Love & best fishes, The Discus Queen.

I think since you already seem to be attached to your little pleco buddy & seem to want to keep the little guy, & since you did say that you really are loving aquarium keeping & want to continue, how about making the nano your little boy's aquarium & you invest in a 30 or 35 gal. For yourself ? Then you could keep your pleco & have oodles of fun researching & choosing new fish to keep your pleco company & give yourself a wonderful gift too. I am 51 years old & been keeping aquariums on my own since I was 10. There is so much fun & so many interesting things to aquarium kerping. Like decor, Landscaping, breeding, filtration, sand vs gravel, choosing the cool fish you want. Wait, you'll see, you to will end up with more than one tank. Just like I did when I really caught fish fever. Lol. I now have a 35 gal. Tall, a 55gal., & a 125 gal. And as soon as my husband & I build our new house next year, we are adding a new 300 gal. I cant wait! You might as well wrap your mind around it, your hooked just like the rest of us, lol. Let me know how it all works out for you & baby. Love & best fishes, The Discus Queen.

X2 i have only been keeping fish for ~2 years. Im 15 and have 55g,55g, 20g tall, and 150g. When i move out and get my own house i will be getting MORE tanks XD.

Back
Top Bottom