Newbie with a tank - so many questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really interested in and considering taking the plunge into purchasing a few red cherry shrimp. Firstly, how many would you guys advise in a 72L tank alongside 6 neons, 6 micro-galaxy rasboras, a Betta and 3 otocinclus. And also, is there any point keeping both otocinclus and red cherry shrimp as I read both are good at eating algae (which one is better though)?

Hey guys so I got my first plant today - limnophila sessiflora (excited!). Any tips on planting these?

I'm really interested in and considering taking the plunge into purchasing a few red cherry shrimp. Firstly, how many would you guys advise in a 72L tank alongside 6 neons, 6 micro-galaxy rasboras, a Betta and 3 otocinclus. And also, is there any point keeping both otocinclus and red cherry shrimp as I read both are good at eating algae (which one is better though)?

Well the otos would be a whole lot safer choice and they are a favorite among planted tank enthusiasts for algae control

As for the new plant, I haven't grown that one in particular. But, I read a ton in anticipation of my shipment. The general guidelines for bunch plants are to remove the band, snip off any damaged ends, strip the leaves for the bottom inch, and then insert that inch into the substrate. You want a healthy, bare stem in the substrate so it will root without the interference of rotting leaves. Giving a bit of space between stems is ideal so the light can reach the lower leaves. Now, you can just shove the bunch into the substrate as it comes and cross your fingers. Some tough plants will survive that. But, most of the time the lower leaves and stem rot and you end up with floating pieces or a dead plant.

And, check out the planted tank section here. Lots of good help.

Hey guys need some insight. Have had the tank setup for a couple weeks now and the ammonia levels are not coming down (they are consistently at 4ppm). I've read around to do a water change but any advice from you guys?

Are you seeing Nitrites yet? That is very odd. DO you know anybody with an established filter that would give you some seeded (dirty) filter media? The LFS (local fish store) also might give you some, if they won't see if they will squeeze the filter and give you the gunk in a water bag. Then dump it into your aquarium, that should give you a jump start with bacteria :) I've never heard of nothing after a couple of weeks!

Unfortunately no one in my social circle owns a tank and the LFS are against fishless cycling and very adamant in adding the quick solutions which allow adding of fish in 24 hours. So I think asking them for some established water will only end up in a sales pitch for this unwanted item.
I'm not seeing any nitrites but I will have another test today or tomorrow.
I've read around about doing a 10-15% water change, do you think this will help?

I don't see how it would help, but at this point it probably wont hurt. And you should ask your lfs anyway for dirty media (of media squeezing -not just water, not much bacteria in water you have to get the gunky stuff) if they give you a sales pitch, just say "yeah, I'm not interested, but thanks." end of story. Worst thing that could happen is they think your odd :D ANybody else have advice?

Where do you live? There must be another fish store. Petco, Pet Smart ? A fish club?

Maybe put out a wanted add on craigslist? Lol. I think there are companies that sell too. You are using a dechlorinator and not rinsing your filter, correct?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your issue just seems odd to me !

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Newbie-has anyone used Scripps ocean water at the Scripps pier in the tank? I hear it is good

Yes got petsathome will have to ask around I guess not rinsing filter and yes used dechlorinater when putting in water. But guess what - talking to you guys has just changed the destiny of my tank lol. It has dropped from 4ppm to 2ppm since my last post. I might do a 10% water change tomorrow and see what happens.

Another question guys - I want to increase the wattage in the tank as I'm conscious of it perhaps being too low for my plants. Some of them like the egeria densa require 0.50w per gallon of water which works out to 36w for my tank, and I only have a 15w. I can see it is beginning to affect them. My only problem is that the light unit on my Juwel Monolux 60 hood limits me to a 433mm light tube and looking around, the nearest thing I can get is a 438mm T5 24w tube. Any way I could increase this or make it work?

Back
Top Bottom