Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Newbie with a tank - so many questions!

Hi all!

Firstly to introduce myself, my name's Mani and I'm from London (born and bred =D). I've come here for ongoing advice as I've dug out my old 70L tank and decided to delve back into the fish community. I say 'delve' back but that doesn't make me a professional by any standards. Last I kept the fish I did no research and then ran off to uni leaving my mum and sister the tank and of course having to give the fish away in the end. So this time I'm hoping a lot of research before even buying the fish will help a long way. I've already decided upon the fish, what do you guys think..

6 x neon tetras
1 x male Siamese Betta fighting fish
2 x otocinclus
3 x platy
3 x Malawi cichlids
MAYBE 1 or 2 cherry shrimp

Would this be ok for a 70L 60cm tank?

Also, I am planning on doing a fishless cycle. I was thinking to follow the conventional methodology but add some Tetra Safestart along with some ammonia (for the bacteria to thrive on), do you think this would work in terms of achieving a good biological cycle along with a jump start?

Finally, I'm fascinated with aquatic plants but reading mixed opinions on whether to add the plants before or during the fishless cycle?

In advance, all your inputs and opinions matter and will teach me as well as others venturing into this community a whole load - hoping to learn loads! =)

Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Too many fish and not compatible.

Malawi cichlids have hard, alkaline water requirements and are highly aggressive. They do not belong in a community tank. The betta might eat the shrimp.

70L is big enough for about 46cm of adult fish length.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #3

Newbie with a tank - so many questions!

I recollect reading somewhere about the Betta and shrimp problem though some people say they have kept them together and have been fine, I guess there's the little draw of luck there as well? Nevertheless I think as I'm having second thoughts I will deduct them from the package.

If I were to deduct the shrimp and cichlids and keep the tetra, Betta, otocinclus, and maybe up the amount of platy from 3 to 5/6?

PS - what would zebra danio or dwarf gourami be like in this setup?
Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Betta and a dwarf gourami are closely related and one will kill the other. I highly recommend you spend some time reading up on each species you desire and plugging your stocking choices into aqadvisor.com to gain a better understanding of what you can stock in your tank. Platties breed like rabbits and have live young, you know... Which provides your betta a live food source but it may upset you to see this.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the heads up there will definitely look in to it!

Any input on the plants enquiries guys as per my OP?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The oto cats are fairly difficult to keep in a new aquarium. I would increase their number up to 4 and add them after the tank has been running fully cycled for a month or two. Other than that it looks good.

As for plants:
Anubias, java moss, java fern, bolbitis, and some crypts would be your best bet.

Here is a link with a list of low light plants
Excellent List of Low Light Plants
Old 01-15-2014, 05:15 AM   #7

[ QUOTE=Mebbid;2791594]The oto cats are fairly difficult to keep in a new aquarium. I would increase their number up to 4 and add them after the tank has been running fully cycled for a month or two. Other than that it looks good.

As for plants:
Anubias, java moss, java fern, bolbitis, and some crypts would be your best bet.

Here is a link with a list of low light plants
Excellent List of Low Light Plants[/QUOTE]

I think I can wait a month or two to add the oto cats how about the zebra danios? Will they go well in this setup? Again differing opinions around about how they will act with the Betta.

as for the plants thank u for the list and the link, very comprehensive! I really have my heart set on the riccia, weeping moss, Marimo moss balls and limnophila sessiflora. But again I'd really appreciate a list of some easy to keep plants as it's the first time I'll be venturing into the aquatic plant world.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My only experience with danios so far is that they can be nippy jerks. Someone with a bit more experience keeping them might chime in though.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:47 AM   #9

What's the general consensus about doing a fishless cycle with the plants in the tank?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Plants will help the cycle and my experience with zebra danios is they are very hardy forgiving fish ideal for new fishkeepers.

Tags
newb, newbie, question, questions, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hi I'm new | newbie »