newbie with clown loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileypark2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Aloha everyone!
Yes, clown loaches are not a great choice for a newbie, now I know!:facepalm: I initially got a small tank for my kids, with several guppies and a clown loach (Sam) that the fish store guy said would be fine in the tank.
:banghead:

Trying 2 make a long story short, got very attached to Sam, since loaches have soo much personality, guppies died and I THEN I started to do research. Got another loach (Max) for a friend while I researched more and decided on a larger tank. All seemed well for many months. Then I noticed Sam was not eating well, and it appeared like Max would chase Sam. Eventually Sam died :(. So I got 2 small clowns (only size available at the time) and another similar size clown (Sam2). All seemed ok for several weeks then Sam2 died :(.

Yesterday I added another small clown loach. Since then max has been very pale. I've read when they try to establish dominance the paler one is the more dominant one. But I'm wondering why would Max feel the need to do this now? An with 3 clowns much smaller than him? Does he feel left out, since he;s the only larger one?

Sorry my intro is so long winded, but any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunatly I can't help you with your problem because I do not know much about clown loaches. Good luck though!

Yes, I did cycle my tank.
I'm wondering if Max somehow stresses the other fish via intimidation, since it was the other fish that were his size.

well i hope i am as successful with the planted tanks... I have a 5G i am setting up and learning along the way... I am continuing to do my research and will get a 40G in the coming weeks.. I have decided I want live plants so I am killing myself with information overload.... I have to do my best to get it right... My 5G is coming along nicely but slowly.. I am learning the science of how to cycle a tank and why a tank must cycle.. like I said I am very new to aquariums..

Yes, I did cycle my tank.
I'm wondering if Max somehow stresses the other fish via intimidation, since it was the other fish that were his size.
That is a possibility. Fish can certainly do that.
Welcome to the site!
How big is the tank they are in? Have you tested the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the water? Do you have plans for a bigger tank?

Sorry I haven't been answering. It's been a crazy couple of weeks. My poor greyhound has been sick and we just found out he has deg. arthritis of the hips. :(

Anyway, my usual readings are pH 6, ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate0.
however, today the ammonia went up to close to 4.0! What's going on?

Yes, I am getting a 4ft tank together for them. I know eventually they will need an even bigger tank.

I have a couple of questions regarding the new tank:
-I heard sand is better for CLs, would pool sand be the easiest to get etc?
-should I get some dither fish? If so I was thinking about zebra daanios. Any thoughts on this?
- Would it be ok for me to set up the new tank, add some of the old substrate in a nylon bag plus use the old filter material initially. If I do this, should I be able to move my guys over right away?

Thanks for everyone's great help.

rileypark2 said:
Sorry I haven't been answering. It's been a crazy couple of weeks. My poor greyhound has been sick and we just found out he has deg. arthritis of the hips. :(

Anyway, my usual readings are pH 6, ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate0.
however, today the ammonia went up to close to 4.0! What's going on?

Yes, I am getting a 4ft tank together for them. I know eventually they will need an even bigger tank.

I have a couple of questions regarding the new tank:
-I heard sand is better for CLs, would pool sand be the easiest to get etc?
-should I get some dither fish? If so I was thinking about zebra daanios. Any thoughts on this?
- Would it be ok for me to set up the new tank, add some of the old substrate in a nylon bag plus use the old filter material initially. If I do this, should I be able to move my guys over right away?

Thanks for everyone's great help.

Sorry to hear about your Greyhound.....

Back
Top Bottom