Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Newbies :)

Hi guys just started a new tropical 64L aquarium, currently have 2 balloon dalmation mollies, 2 corys, 4 platys, a black molly and a silver molly. They seemed to have settled pretty well but just have a few issues;

One of the dalmation mollies has started to get a bit of a yellow tinge to him, nitrate and ph levels are fine, is this colouring normal?

Im fedding the corys pellets and the rest of the bunch flakes howevereveryone goes for the pellets and the fish often spend around half an hour sucking and spitting out the pellets, am i doing something wrong?

As for maintainence, how often do water changes and gravel changes need to be done?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Tahnks kellen x

Old 09-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

you're doing fine. good questions.

how long did you cycle the tank?

25-50% water change once a week at the beginning until cycled then can prob go every 2 wks. never change the gravel, can just suction up waste with the water changes.

what size are the pellets? the cories will survive on leftover flake food as well.

concerns: mollies and platies if boys and girls will have babies
you are already overstocked
Old 09-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

When you say cycling the tank, do you mean how long it was running before putting fish in? If so then 5 days, have added the fish gradually (5 at a time) with a 2 week gap in between, took a water sample into the fish shop and they said it was fine to get more fish.

How do you perform water changes? I was the guy in the fish shop syphoning the gravel whilst also getting rid of some water, is this the same thing or different?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XkellenX View Post
When you say cycling the tank, do you mean how long it was running before putting fish in? If so then 5 days, have added the fish gradually (5 at a time) with a 2 week gap in between, took a water sample into the fish shop and they said it was fine to get more fish.

How do you perform water changes? I was the guy in the fish shop syphoning the gravel whilst also getting rid of some water, is this the same thing or different?
Yes, thats changing the water. You need a vaccum. Drain about 25%-50% of your water and add that same amount in freshwater with your water conditioner.

★Your lfs might say your water is good. But it is important that you get the numbers from them. You should get a liquid test kit. Or ask them for the precise numbers ppm.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

When putting water back do you have to make sure its the same temperature as the water already in the tank?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XkellenX View Post
When putting water back do you have to make sure its the same temperature as the water already in the tank?
You would want the water to be at least the same temp or couple degrees off. But try aim for room temp. If you want, you can leave a bucket of conditioned water out for about a half hour.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissycakes View Post

You would want the water to be at least the same temp or couple degrees off. But try aim for room temp. If you want, you can leave a bucket of conditioned water out for about a half hour.
Letting the water sit is also important for the ph levels. There are many things that can cause stress and shock to fish durring a water change so its important that the temperature and water conditions are as equal as possible.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

And by conditioned water, I mean with the correct amount of De-chlorinated solution to get rid of some harmful pollutants.

Tags
newb, newbie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com