Noob!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZomB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sup people. I'm a complete newbie! Got a pretty large tank from my neighbour that was moving out & ive decided to try & get it all set up.

I paid £20 & got a 36 inch tank, stand, a heater, protein skimmer & an external filter. Pretty good deal!

My neighbour was doing a marine set up but i think im going to be going for freshwater.

Started my set up yesterday. Got my gravel/substrate cleaned & in the tank. Got a few rocks & bogwood (the bogwood is currently soaking). Managed to get it filled up without collapsing my block of flats which was good. Unfortunately the filter is leaking near the taps!

Ive ordered some "O" rings which i seemed to be missing so im hoping that will fix the tap leak on the filter. That could take a few days to arrive so im a bit concerned that the water thats now just sitting there.

Will the water go stagnent or anything in the next few days or will it be ok? Hope i dont have to replace it all! Thanks

Hi ZomB, welcome to AA. if you have a pump put an airstone in there till you get your filter up and running, I don't think the water will get stagnant in a few days but it will help to oxygenate the tank. Good Luck!!.

Pete

Thanks for the reply...ive got another quick question though. I've got an air pump (cant believe they sell them without tubing!) & ive now plugged that in & fed it into the tank...it looks nice. :D Please excuse my ignorance but is the air being supplied by the tube ok to provide oxygen or do i still need an airstone?:confused: Thanks.

Just the tube itself is helping provide oxygen but an airstone is a much better source. I'm sure you can get one at walmart or something for a buck or two. Honestly if you get an "O" ring for your pump real soon I wouldn't worry about it, the water should be fine...Welcome to AA btw!

Welcome! I love newbies. Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have or let me know if you start any topics. I just got my first tank up a couple months ago so the whole process is quite fresh in my head.

Otherwise, there'll be plenty of people on here who love to help. It's a great resource and I think you'll be happy with the answers you get.

Cheers!

Hi, I just set up my new tropical tank a few weeks ago and decided to go with the more natural look of using Bogwood, other than the resin ornament approach, the problem is that it seems to have gone a little too natural for my liking, what I mean by that is the water has a murky brown tinge to it from the tannings in the wood and I can't seem to get it back clear, have you any advice please e.g. Treatments for the Bogwood etc…
Thanks
Blake2006

Hi Blake, you could remove the bogwood and soak it in water in a big enough container to completely submerge it. when the water is brown change it for fresh water, continue doing that until the water remains clear, you can then return it to the tank, or you can leave it in the tank and do partial water changes until the water clears, the choice is yours. Good Luck!!.

Pete

Hi, thankyou very much for your help and advice.
Blake.

Attachments

• image-3451969186.jpg
    image-3451969186.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 68
Hi Blake, you could remove the bogwood and soak it in water in a big enough container to completely submerge it. when the water is brown change it for fresh water, continue doing that until the water remains clear, you can then return it to the tank, or you can leave it in the tank and do partial water changes until the water clears, the choice is yours. Good Luck!!.

Pete

+1

Back
Top Bottom