Noob and glad to be here :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LucidWanderer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! Just wanted to drop in and say what's up. I've never had fish before in my life. I ran across a 40g tank dirt cheap so grabbed it. lol. I wish I would have found this site a few weeks ago when I started this new hobby. My tank currently holds 6 hatchet fish 4 tiny snails and a bottom feeder.. :p Can't remember it's name lol. Tank is still cycling and I'm checking and doing WC practically everyday. Quick question though. My ammonia was up to 3 and after a 20% WC the ammonia bounced right back up! A family owned pet shop employee recommended doing a 90% WC and replace my filter media. Since I've set up the tank on 9-21-12 I have not changed the media. I did however do a 80% WC and new filter. However I read somewhere tonight not to do both at the same time. Will this mess with my BB growing or am I worrying for nothing? lol..

Thanks for reading and any responses. :D

Lucid

how old is the tank ammonia and nitrite usualy have a spike in the first month. My nano took 2 months to cycle and i still have a small nitrate problem but do less of a water change if i was you I would do a 20% every week or every 3rd day 90% water change is probaly a bit harsh and isnt giving your tank a chance to settle in but as saying this im still pretty new but sounds like your cycle isnt having the chance to build up good bios

some obe correct me if this sounds wrong to them

and dont belive every thing ur lfs tell you not every lfs are their to help some just want $$$$

and yes it will afect your bb you need to keep the good bacteria that live in the filter are beeded to kill off the bad one an when you clean ur filter DONT squeez it just rinse it keeps alot of the good stuff in their

needed*

sorry im at work so im trying to weld and help

well worth reading I didnt even know about some of the stuff init worth a read for every fish owner

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome all. And don't weld your phone Lamby! :D

its ok already broke the screen tipical iphones break the first time ya drop them

lamby said:
its ok already broke the screen tipical iphones break the first time ya drop them

I've on my 5th iPhone screen. Lol. It's a breeze after the third time.

So now that I did that large WC and put in a new filter does that mean my cycle probably crashed? The ammonia has been at a steady 0.25 for almost 24 hours now with zero signs of nitrites or nitrAtes. Which have never been present yet anyways.

could be on it way down give it another 24 hours and check once you hit 0ppm ur in buisness and it could drop to 0ppm over night

LucidWanderer said:
Hi all! Just wanted to drop in and say what's up. I've never had fish before in my life. I ran across a 40g tank dirt cheap so grabbed it. lol. I wish I would have found this site a few weeks ago when I started this new hobby. My tank currently holds 6 hatchet fish 4 tiny snails and a bottom feeder.. :p Can't remember it's name lol. Tank is still cycling and I'm checking and doing WC practically everyday. Quick question though. My ammonia was up to 3 and after a 20% WC the ammonia bounced right back up! A family owned pet shop employee recommended doing a 90% WC and replace my filter media. Since I've set up the tank on 9-21-12 I have not changed the media. I did however do a 80% WC and new filter. However I read somewhere tonight not to do both at the same time. Will this mess with my BB growing or am I worrying for nothing? lol..

Thanks for reading and any responses. :D

Lucid

Welcome! Changing your media would have disrupted the cycle only if had been in long enough to build a colony, so if the tank was only set up for a couple days there really wasn't any substantial amount of BB on it... If it was set up for a couple weeks you woulda lost some but not all hope is lost as bb will grow on aquarium decor & sand/gravel. Anyways lets try to keep that ammonia right around .25 and lower if possible :) back to back wc's may be needed. bb doesn't really reside in the water column so changing water won't affect your cycle :) I like to suggest active filters from AngelsPlus.com, it will really help jump start your cycle!

I see Andrew has provided my favorite link, it's a good read :) here is another

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-jus...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

I fish in cycled all my tanks, patience & water changes are your key to success :) it's gonna take awhile but all your hardwork will be very gratifying :D

Good luck and keep us posted!

might not of crashed remember you substrate will hold bios and rocks and ornament will to soo dont stress just wait and test again

LucidWanderer said:
So now that I did that large WC and put in a new filter does that mean my cycle probably crashed? The ammonia has been at a steady 0.25 for almost 24 hours now with zero signs of nitrites or nitrAtes. Which have never been present yet anyways.

I can tell you it took a month or more before I seen a trace of trAtes. I never seen trItes... Maybe it was because I used active media, all you can do is keep that ammonia down and wait! It won't happen over night and maybe not a week from now, but it WILL happen :D

So far so good. I've kept the ammonia under .5 max. Recently purchased API's FW Master kit and I haven't let it get above .25 ammonia according to the new readings, which BTW I prefer over the quick dip strips any day of the week. I've also gave up on the idea of trying to keep my cat "BooBoo" off of the hoods... Lol. I Got her last year at this time. An older couple; Grandma Grandpa age; was dropping her off at Angels for Animals shelter I took my niece and nephews to. They were scared because of the Halloween season that a pure black kitten would be in danger. Which BTW I have the utmost respect for anyone who is willing to protect a stray. :D Anyways, I saw them in the parking lot with the baby kitty and after talking with them for a couple mins offered to take the lil kitty. Uhmmm... Lol. Sorry. Sitting in front of my Aquarium enjoying the view and BooBoo on top behaving. Anyhow. I had placed a Mirror behind the tank when I set it up. (40g) Now I'm realizing that the mirror probably needs to go. As soon as I can I'll take some decent pictures and post them. BTW @Lamby... I just replaced my iPhone screen and it was a failure... lol. It just booted up straight white and nothing more. Too late to tear apart and redo tonight. But If it can't get it working do me a favor and weld it to some toilet floor bolts or something..... lol:D

Well just installed a RGB led strip onto the top rim of my tank. It is perfect for late night lighting :) plus a mood setter if ya know what I mean. Hehe.

Attachments

• image-3498931273.jpg
    image-3498931273.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom