Noob Aquarist here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teuthology

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!
My name is Sam, and recently I have become very interested in marine biology (especially Teuthology) and have been thinking about setting up a small tank (less than 5 gallons probably) for some fishes. I've had fishes when I was young, but obviously I didnt gain much experience from them. I am hoping to start small and see if I actually like the hobby before spending more money.

Advice on good starter fish, tanks, ect. would be greatly appreciated. I didn't see a beginners forum so I guess I'll ask for help here :). My main source for all things aquatic is Petsmart right now. I'm sure there are better places but as of now I want to start off cheap and small.

I hope you all enjoy my stay!
Sam

I wouldn't suggest going for such a small tank as you are new to the hobby. I know it sounds kind of opposite but the the bigger the tank the easier the water parameters are to maintain. Maybe look out for a 10-30 gallon tank.

Welcome to AA!

We do have a beginners forum, it's entitled "Getting Started" (1 under the FW section and 1 under the SW section). You'll get lots more notice and response in those forums, so feel free to ask your specific questions there.

And, I agree with above, smaller tanks are exponentially more difficult to maintain on the SW side than larger tanks, so it is something to consider.

Oh I didnt see that forum, I'll head over there. And I'll consider a 10 gallon tank, but I'm trying to keep my budget under $100

Welcome to AA. if you look on craigslist you might be able to find a full set up cheaper. buying used will save you a good amount. when starting the biggest tank you can fit and afford is your best bet. larger tank is more stable.

Back
Top Bottom