Novice Fish Hobbyist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmorton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I've had fish and other animals on and off for a while, but I only really started keeping fish for the past few months. In May, I bought a Molly and a Loach. I later added an Albino Rainbow Shark to the tank. I know that the tank they are currently in is not big enough; luckily, they aren't fully grown. I plan to move them into a new tank soon and I need advice on how to set it up. Currently, their tank has an old over-the-back Aqua-Tech filter and no other accessories. The water has surprisingly stayed pretty clear, but when I use my gravel vacuum, a lot of debris and algae comes up from the gravel. The gravel also gets stuck in the vacuum and the whole effort becomes almost useless. I suppose I need a new filter, and hopefully one that isn't insanely expensive. I've heard about filters that don't require replacement cartridges but I'm not sure how reliable they are. Any recommendations on what filter to get, and what other accessories I need? I really just want a reliable way to keep the tank clean and keep the fish healthy. :ermm:

First let me say sorry for the lack of replies and welcome.

You never said what size tank you have or how big the new tank will be. That will help a bunch. As for filters, a small canister filter is a good investment and will not break the bank. Keep in mind what you need depends on tank size. I would also suggest a sponge filter for the new tank. It serves as a nice back up and provides live bacteria and feeding gounds for small fish. As for a gravel vac, not sure what you're using. I use a store bought bell siphan, the kind with the larger round front and smaller tube. If you wiggle the bell back and forth approximately 1/4 inch over the gravel the crud should float up and go into the siphan live. Don't dig in the gavel as that kills a lot of helpful bacteria that can give off toxins if killed in great numbers. You can P.M. me if you have questions.

Welcome and the filter I would recommend is a aqua clear I bought one and I love it

Sorry, about the late reply! I've been extremely busy! The tank they are in now is only 5 gallons (sad, I know), but I want to put then in the 20 gallon I have. I plan on getting something bigger in the future. A canister filter would be a good idea. The siphon I have is just a basic one that you have to prime to use it. I don't want to kill the bacteria, but it seems like I can't get all of the debris unless I go down into the gravel. Also, the loach never seems to eat anything, at least not while I'm awake.

Back
Top Bottom