Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2015, 02:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

OH io.

Hello from Ohio. I figure it's time for me to actually get into some online fish keeping communities. So I guess I'll give you all a brief history of my short time as a fish keeper.

I really haven't been in the hobby long it's only been about a year and a half now. I first started off with a plastic gallon goldfish square aquarium I bought from Walmart which I put 5 feeder goldfish into. At this point my only thoughts were that I'd buy 5 easy fish to take care off and all I had to do was feed them and change the water when it looked bad. MAN was I wrong! I think I lost 3 goldfish within days! And then lost the other 2 when I did a water change and shocked them when placing them back into the cube. I'm not usually one who likes to give up easily or one to go down without a fight. After this happened I wondered to myself how the hell I could raise a child but I couldn't keep 5 goldfish alive? It was crazy to me. So then of course I read about cycling water and bacteria and all of the very basics of having a fish including tank sizes. And we'll I guess to make a long story very short I'll just post the pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433652930.541021.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	273316

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433653019.114754.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  6.8 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433653100.490318.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  8.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433653247.199915.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  8.9 KB

Eventually I got the hang of it and learned all about the fish and other creatures I was keeping in my aquarium including the added benefits of having live plants in my tank. I loved everything about my freshwater aquarium and I spent hours reading about and just watching everything inside flourish and co-exist. Because this tank was so low to the ground however I started having safety concerns with my child who was just learning to walk and moved this tank to my parents home. It spent around 5 months until I finally found a new home for all of the inhabitants including a private pond for my goldfish who were over half a foot long! and I just recently tore the tank down.

During the time I had the tank moved out my fiancÚ found an old 120 gallon Oceanic tank with stand, lights, and canopy at a thrift store for $100 and she bought it for me as a surprise. And surprisingly it didn't leak or have any major scratches and the stand was sturdy as a rock. She made it very clear that if I was going to have this aquarium that I had to make it a saltwater tank. Of course I agreed and so that's where I am today and I'm again loving every moment of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433654131.608184.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	273320

Still a work in progress..but everyday I make more progress.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks great! Nice progression for sure. Welcome to AA!

Jesse

Old 06-07-2015, 03:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

And yes I do have a anemone in my tank. I let my LFS talk me into buying one for my clownfish before I did any real research on them and I regretted it for awhile. But I started feeding it raw shrimp every other day and making sure it got plenty of light and water flow. It seems very happy and is no longer bleached...although yesterday it walked and 80% of its tentacles got caught in a powerhead and were torn off. sense then I've noticed a pretty good amount of regrowth and I don't think it's dead but I'll be monitoring it VERY closely. Now the LFS has almost zero anemones after having a tank overflowing with them and I'm wondering if they all died. So in a way I'm glad I kept this one and hopefully I can keep it happy for along time. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433657718.454691.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	273321Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433657752.957441.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	273322
Old 06-07-2015, 03:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleyjk View Post
Looks great! Nice progression for sure. Welcome to AA!

Jesse

Thank you!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com