Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by mollylou View Post
Is there anything I can do to lower the TDS? Those are the results straight from the well and from the tap. The more research I do the more I'm thinking that I need to mix two different sources of water. Perhaps mix the water from the tap and the well, or invest in a R/O unit to mix with well water? My TDS would still be pretty high if I did the former though.

My substrate is sand, so any plant that I can go ahead and stick in there without having to muck with it too much is best. But I suppose if my water is crap it's not going to matter since the plants will most likely die too. I just need to figure out the best solution for my water first.

All of the reading I've done on water softeners and the results from my water tests make me think there is WAY too much sodium in the water...193.8 ppm and 98.51% of sodium? If I use water from the well, my biggest problem should be calcium build up on the tank. I think I see the lesser of two evils here.
Best thing you can do is to go 100% RO. Then just get a water replenisher for minerals. Getting a cheap RODI unit that only does like 25g a day should be fine. It won't get you perfect 0 TDS, but you don't need 0 TDS in freshwater.

90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com