Old member coming back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I am an old member from about 6-7 years ago, but I can't remember my old password or username... :confused: So I made a new one :cool:. I am looking to set up my tanks again now that I have a couple of kids, I wan't to use it to help enrich their knowledge. We recently visited the Florida Aquarium in Tampa and the Marine Science center in Daytona and my kids just loved it. They are 2 and 4 so I think they will really get a kick out of this. I have strayed from the hobby a little bit and have a bunch of aquariums full of snakes :blink:. LOL, actually I only have two snakes, one hamster, two cats, and 2 other empty aquariums. I just cleaned the aquariums and am letting them sit with water to inspect for leaks. My 55 gallon has been sitting dry for about 4 years now and It seems to be holding water, but I can't remember if I should reseal it or not? Also, I just snagged a 29 gallon tank only from the side of the road that still had a little bit of water in the bottom of it so I am in the process of cleaning it as well.

So I need to buy a couple of new hoods, some filters and other supplies... my freshwater kit is a little out of date... I can't remember which websites I used to buy from. So if any of yall can give me a leg up and let me know which sites are legitimate I would appreciate it!
Thanks,
Ashley

not one person has any experience ordering online? I guess I will go to petco to get started then. I'm very wary of buying online unless I know of people that have had good customer service. I know there was a site I used to use but I can't for the life of me remember it. The only thing i CAN remember is that I did not like "BIGALS", but there was another site that was pretty good. live aquaria or something like that.

Welcome to the site :). (sorry it took some time for us to see the thread).

Personally I purchase most of my items like filters, lights, etc...online from places like Amazon. There are plenty of sites like Drs. Foster & Smith...but you'll usually find the best deals if you know what you're looking for and do some searching. I've never used liveaquaria, but I've heard good reviews about their plants and fish (not familiar with people buying supplies there though). The classifieds section here on AA is also a fantastic place to find healthy and beautiful fish and plants.

Make sure you start a thread so we can watch your tanks progress :). You'll have lots of stocking options since your tanks are good sized. If you've been away from the hobby for a while, make sure you brush up on your cycling knowledge-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Good luck! :)

cycling - amonia-nitrite-nitrate, reduce nitrates by having live plants or frequent water changes.
fishless cycling- throw in a shrimp and let it rot... LOL

lol, just being a smarty pants :p

I've used fosterandsmith/liveaquaria, they are a great company. Certainly cheaper than pet stores, just make sure you order everything at once so you're not wasting shipping costs. Amazon is good as well, though it has less of a selection. If you google the product, there are plenty of other sites too.

--Adeeb

yes those are the websites i used to use, dr.foster and smith and live aquaria. Thanks! I am going to get the 29 gallon up and running for now. We don't have a lot of room where we are living right now for the 55 gallon and the 29 will be cheaper to get up and running. I found some really cool double metal stands, I was thinking I can put the fish tank on top and one of my snake viv's on the bottom since a 29 gallon and a 20 gallon long snake viv have the same footprint. I think that would make a very interesting display. Once I get things up and running I will post my progress in the general discussion forums.

i usualy use marinedepot.com alot, that usualy have good deals on stuff

Welcome back. Severum Mama and HN1 have nice fish and I have ordered from her and Jetajockey. You will get great fish or plants from them. They even quarantine the fish for you.

Hope all goes well including the kids in the process. Mine are my helpers also. Its quality time for sure.

so i tried to post a question in the getting started freshwater forum about buying a new filter but it said that I have to wait for approval before its posted. I wanted to put my order in tonight, any idea how long before my post will come up?
Thanks

I just approved it. Patience is a virtue. If you post something with a link or picture it will be held up till approved to keep the spam under control.

Thanks, I wasn't trying to be a pain, just curious as to how long the process usually takes. My kids were staring at am empty tank all day today asking me if I was going to put the snake in it. I told them we were putting fish in it and my 2 year old kept asking "mommy where fish?". Oh it is going to be even more fun waiting out a fishless cycle, lmao.

Back
Top Bottom