Older aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone My name is Rick from Texas. I'm a :n00b:. I recently bought a 75 gal. from a garage sale everthing included but the glass top. The tank is 48"lx18"dx21"h. This tank doesnot have a center brace. every top i've seen on the net says it' a four peice requiring a center brace. Alright to the point. Can I make a brace, buy a brace, or is there a top out there that will work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
I was given a Tetratec pf 300 today, but from reading up on them thier not that good. It seems to have two flow direction 90degree connector on the bottom missing. Any advise on this filter and where I might be able to buy parts.

Thanks in advance

first off, welcome to AA :) So on your 75g, is the center support missing, like can you see that it has been removed, or does it look like it was built without one?

older aquarium

The tank appears to have been built without a center support

You could add one made from glass, just siliconed in.. it the frame is ABS plastic, I have made them and repaired them by using black ABS cement from HD or Lowes and a piece cut from a sacrificial old black tv shell, or an old stereo or VCR... It welds it pretty nicely. I do alot of ABS plastic repair on my motorcycles, cars and most recently my own 75 gallon tank frame...

glasscages.com should be able to get you a price on one as well. I know I need one for my 55g tank.

Is the date it was manufactored on the bottom of the tank? Most often this is a white tag with the date made and who it was made by. If you can find the date it was made, you can do an online search and see if it is supposed to have one, or if it was made without one.

I purchased a 125 g that was made in the 90's, it was built with no center brace, however the glass is a bit thicker than what you would find on a newer 125 g. It doesn't bow noticably.

Back
Top Bottom