OMG imma n00b!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surjer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, Decided to join this forum to learn learn learn... I love aquraiums and I have had them all my life but the truth is (I know nothing about them apperently). I started seaking the internet to find help for a new tank setup problem that I am having and I think i know why I had the problem lol. Apperently there is a crucial Cycle your tank has to go through when setting it up. Well, I just inherited a 20gal tank and all the hardware was nasty so I pitched it all and bought new. So I through the fish in my 10gal, hurry up and setup the 20 gal, let it sit a day and then dumped in the fish. I guess this is why its all cloudy. Correct me if I am wrong but I guess there hasnt been enough time for the good bacteria to grow and now the waste is not getting dealt with correctly?? Uggh - I am soooo new lol. Anyways here is a pic of my poor poor tank thats dieing for help!!!

Attachments

• picture_004_118.jpg
    picture_004_118.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 25
  • mycloudypic_769.jpg
    mycloudypic_769.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 30
Ammonia and nitrite to start. The aquarium pharmaceuticals master test kit would be a good investment. Get liquid tests not strips.

rich311k said:
Ammonia and nitrite to start. The aquarium pharmaceuticals master test kit would be a good investment. Get liquid tests not strips.

Yikes, just stoped in at the lfs and those test kits are 32bucks! Guess I will wait just a little longer to see if this thing clears up? **shrug**

Welcome to AA! Master test kits like AP's master test kit can be purchased online at Big Al's online for fairly cheap. http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...quariumpharmaceuticalsfreshwatermastertestkit

Now to answer your question, allow me to clarify a bit, I may be misunderstanding you. You set up your 20 gal and added the fish 1 day later? If that is the case, then no it isn't long enough. A fishless cycle can still take several weeks. A cycle with fish requires more water changes to keep harmful ammonia, and nitrite down to near 0ppm. Or did you use the filter from your 10 gal on the 20 gal?

Hi - I set the 20 gal up and only waited 1 day before adding the fish. Its clearing up alot and this is what I have done :)

1.) Set up tank let run only 24 hours
2.) Added fish :(
3.) About 2 days later got really cloudy water
4.) Started reading on the intarweb
5.) Decided I am Aquarium Genious and explained all my new learnings to everyone I know lol
6.) Ran the filter from the 10gal additionally on the 20gal to hopfully transfer some of the good bacteria
7.) Have done 20% water changes everyday
8.) Its clearing up alot but I need to order that test kit because I have no idea what Ammonia and Nitrite levels are currently..

I find it alot cheaper to order things online. You have to pay shipping costs, but its not that much and if you are buying multiple items, its still cheaper than the LFS. Big Als has some great prices. The AP Master kit is a good investment....it contains all the basic tests you need.

Welcome to AA!! :D

I order everything else online not sure why I didnt think to look for Aquarium supplies online. *shrug* Well, I really appreciate all the help and w00t for an awesome site with great ppl! I can see now that I will be wanting to get a bigger tank in the very near future:)

Welcome to AA!

Sounds like you got the advice you needed so far.

Keep us posted.

Good luck and I hope your fish make it...

Best,
Joe

The water has cleared and I took a cup of water to my lfs and they tested it for me for free =). They did use a strip test but I am waiting on the kit to come in...

Here is what they found..

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrate - 40ppm
Nitrite - 10.0ppm
Total Hardness - 250ppm
Total Alkalinity Buffering Capacity - 300ppm
pH - 8.4ppm

She said the only thing that was out of the norm was my Nitrite's and thats because its still in its Cycle...

She said the pH was normal for my area? What do you guys think about these numbers?

That nitrite levels is well above fatal levels. Do couple a couple of 50% water changes, and another 50% tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom