Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lightbulb One Small Step, One Large Price Tag...

My wife and kids got me a 55G for my birthday.

I've had lots of small tanks over the years, but this is my first large tank. I [I]thought[I] I had everything under control... We had a tank kit (filter, heater, etc...), stand, gravel, and decorations. I bought artificial plants, a bubbling dragon, and a pagota. I was going for a tranquil Asian vibe. Since I'm no noob (ha!, so I thought) I filled the tank, put in the "instant water conditioner" and let it run for a day or so. I then proceded to call around and see what local stores had "high enough quality" fish/supplies for my masterpiece. After speaking to a LFS owner, I realized I was a pompas idiot. He asked me about my nitrites level, and I said "Huh?", "...And what is substrate? I didn't buy any subrate; I bought gravel."

That's when class began.

Since then, I realized just how much I didn't know, and have thrown myself into this with the excitement/obsession of a 10 year old with a new videogame. My wife thinks I've gone a bit overboard. Whatever - she started it.

That was about 6 weeks ago. I have since let my tank cycle (and I actually understand what the entails), and everything is going great. I've also discovered aquascaping, and the beauty and benifits of live plants. I've also started a secondary tank (10 gallons) for multiple purposes: I can practice aquascaping, or use it as a breeder tank. I'm going to attempt a hybrid of styles - an aquascaped community tank. People seem to gravitate towards one style or the other. Why? I'm going to try to make a highly manicured tank that provides good, healthy habitats for my fish community, but I'll save that process for a different thread...

Old 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

to AA!
[QUOTE=Flei;1700137]My wife and kids got me a 55G for my birthday.

I've had lots of small tanks over the years, but this is my first large tank. I [I]thought[I] I had everything under control... We had a tank kit (filter, heater, etc...), stand, gravel, and decorations. I bought artificial plants, a bubbling dragon, and a pagota. I was going for a tranquil Asian vibe. Since I'm no noob (ha!, so I thought) I filled the tank, put in the "instant water conditioner" and let it run for a day or so. I then proceded to call around and see what local stores had "high enough quality" fish/supplies for my masterpiece. After speaking to a LFS owner, I realized I was a pompas idiot. He asked me about my nitrites level, and I said "Huh?", "...And what is substrate? I didn't buy any subrate; I bought gravel."
Ooh. Sounds like you didn't do any research. Uh-oh.
That's when class began.
Welcome to the best class of em all, this site
Since then, I realized just how much I didn't know, and have thrown myself into this with the excitement/obsession of a 10 year old with a new videogame. My wife thinks I've gone a bit overboard. Whatever - she started it.
Hahahahaha. I feel ya, people who don't understand think fishkeeping is expensive and crazy. My mom and dad think I've gone nuts and will only let me keep two tanks at a tiem.
That was about 6 weeks ago. I have since let my tank cycle (and I actually understand what the entails), and everything is going great. I've also discovered aquascaping, and the beauty and benifits of live plants. I've also started a secondary tank (10 gallons) for multiple purposes: I can practice aquascaping, or use it as a breeder tank. I'm going to attempt a hybrid of styles - an aquascaped community tank. People seem to gravitate towards one style or the other. Why? I'm going to try to make a highly manicured tank that provides good, healthy habitats for my fish community, but I'll save that process for a different thread...Sounds cool. Post some pics when you can. Sounds like a fun project you have, what fish/plants are you going to breed/grow?[/QUOTE]

My responses in the bold underlined red. Good luck!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome. You have your wife to thank for a wonderful hobby and remind her that it is the best gift ever when she finds you sitting in front of the tank watching fish. You can grow a lot of plants in just gravel as well you might need to use fertilizers but it can be done.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flei View Post
I didn't buy any subrate; I bought gravel."

welcome to the forum!
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flei
My wife and kids got me a 55G for my birthday.

I've had lots of small tanks over the years, but this is my first large tank. I thought I had everything under control... We had a tank kit (filter, heater, etc...), stand, gravel, and decorations. I bought artificial plants, a bubbling dragon, and a pagota. I was going for a tranquil Asian vibe. Since I'm no noob (ha!, so I thought) I filled the tank, put in the "instant water conditioner" and let it run for a day or so. I then proceded to call around and see what local stores had "high enough quality" fish/supplies for my masterpiece. After speaking to a LFS owner, I realized I was a pompas idiot. He asked me about my nitrites level, and I said "Huh?", "...And what is substrate? I didn't buy any subrate; I bought gravel."

That's when class began.

That was about 6 weeks ago. I have since let my tank cycle (and I actually understand what the entails), and everything is going great. I've also discovered aquascaping, and the beauty and benifits of live plants. I've also started a secondary tank (10 gallons) for multiple purposes: I can practice aquascaping, or use it as a breeder tank. I'm going to attempt a hybrid of styles - an aquascaped community tank. People seem to gravitate towards one style or the other. Why? I'm going to try to make a highly manicured tank that provides good, healthy habitats for my fish community, but I'll save that process for a different thread...
Loving it!!! You must be so excited!!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquascaping, breeder tank, community tank, plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com