oooo, welcome wagon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferret

Aquarium Advice Addict
Good idea :)

Thanks to all who gave me advice and suggestions for the original reason I came here, the attempt to save a 75 gallon tank that had horribly ammonia spiked out of control. A few fish were saved, and the tank is clean and happy once more, though still cycling somewhat.

Tank info! :)

90 Gallon: My favorite tank for the moment. 16 various african cichlids, ranging from 3 to 6 inches. It has two Biowheel Emperor 400 filters to deal with the fairly heavy waste these guys spit out, and its tons of fun to watch. They run away from the 9 in pleco in the tank :)

75 Gallon: Rebuilt, Refilled, Recycled, back in business. This tank has my newest fish family members, three baby albino tiger oscars. They're doing just great so far, and the tank has not risen above 2ppm, in fact its starting to drop off towards 0 again. The pleco who survived the original ammonia spike has almost fully recovered by all appearances. The filter media was previously cultured as was the gravel. 330 and 400 biowheel HOB filters

29 gallon: Second favorite tank, at least until the oscars get nice and big :) Gold gourami, opaline gourami, dwarf gourami, pink kissing gourami, a betta, 8 glow-lite tetras, 4 longfinned zebra danios, 3 black mystery snails, 6 african dwarf frogs, a small stunted rainbow shark I rescued, and a bunch of ghost shrimp. Lots of fake plants, looks beautiful though :) Penguin 330 biowheel

20L gallon: Newest tank, helped save the 75 gallon survivors. Currently home to a few stray guppies I picked up. Has a little Biowheel penguin 125 filter. Technically my wife's tank but I take care of it :) All 8 current residents are known as 'Sarah'

10 Gallon: This is my wife's tank as well. 1 Calico ryukin goldfish and 1 red cap oranda goldfish, named Molly and Polly. Then George the golden algea eater.

So that's my inventory :) Hope to learn lots more here and to help others with what I already know and pick up along the way :)

It seems quite possible. My parent in laws have had two full grown oscars for several years in a 55 gallon, quite healthy. I've got heavy filtration on the tank, and if they eventually get to a point where they MUST get a bigger tank, I'll have the capital for it. (And an excuse so the wife lets me spend more money on a much larger tank)

Hi, ferret ! Welcome to one of the best forums on the web for information and experience.

Your 90g sounds awesome. What kind of Africans do you keep ?

Malawi mix. I don't know half of them, though I can make a stab at it. This will be a mix of common and scientific names

N. Venustus, Red Zebra, jewel, electric yellow, kenyi, auratus, a victorian hap (forget name), snowwhite (albino guy), what looks like a livingstoni, a blue one :p, icy blue zebra, a really dark almost 'flat black' guy (Really cool looking), a blue guy with red fins... and for some reason I cannot remember anything about how the last two look ;p I'm at work right now so can't glance over my shoulder at the tank ;p

The other was a bubblebee and one that is tan/yellow with purplish spots ;P Yeah its odd looking :p

Back
Top Bottom