Outlaw's somewhat roundabout journey.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Outlaw

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings all!

I was asked to write an introduction to the community, so I figured I would tell the story of how I got here (careful what you ask for :).

While I have had SW aquaria in the past (worked at an aquarium store in my teens), it appears that everything has completely changed and I am back to newbie status (last time I had SW tanks, you wouldn't dream of not running an UG filter!).

So, a couple of months ago, all I had was a 20 gal FW community tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408025240.593291.jpg

I was mentioning to a buddy that I wasn't satisfied, and I wanted a larger SW tank. I have been mentioning this to my wife for going on 20 years.

So, gradually I introduced the idea to my wife. When she finally agreed, she didn't want anything bigger than 30-40 gal in the house. I gradually convinced her that bigger is better and she warmed to the idea.

A few weeks later, a tank came up on craigslist that we had seen in the store, that she liked but wouldn't let me buy. It was a marineland 60 and stand with accessories for a good price. While I recognize that this is not a particularly good tank for SW, she said I could get it so I had to jump!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408024906.088053.jpg

Initial aquascaping (not terribly enthused with it)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408025315.692872.jpg

It soon became apparent, with additional research, that the stand is utterly worthless. I wanted a sump!

A couple weeks later, my buddy was breaking down his 55 gal and offered it to me for free. My wife actually let me have it! Of course it sprang a leak on the way to the truck so it needs a reseal, and the stand is toast.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408025524.548681.jpg

I decided to broach the subject of building a new stand for the 60 (I can even make it match our existing furniture!!) Obviously my intent was to design it around the 20 gal, so that after I transfer the tropical fish to the 55 I can use it for a sump!

Here's the stand so far (still finishing the doors).

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408026107.864612.jpg

Since I am going to have to drain the tank to get it on the new stand, I have decided to break it down (maybe fix the aquascaping) and drill it for an overflow and returns, and plumb the 20 gal sump.

Will start out with Fowlr, with plans of converting to a reef in a year. Also will build a matching canopy.

Well, that's where I am currently at, went from a 20 gal to a 20, 10, 55 and 60 in a couple months! Heh, again, careful what you ask for.

Maybe I can get fish in there this year . . .

you've been busy!.. The stand looks great, love the color. Can't wit to see the finished product and the tank up and running...:fish2:....Alison

Thanks! I'll be sure to update as I go (as much for me as anything). Always "interesting" trying to do these things on the cheap.

Got my first fish in quarantine!

Butch and Sundance.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417968103.286638.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417968118.733435.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like you got the dire MTS (multiple tank syndrome), looks like it hit hard and fast! Hope you don't recover!!!

Excellent looking stand. wow that is some talent there, :) !

Welcome to the fun.

Oh yeah, and I swapped out the 60 for a 75. I turned the 60 into my FW community tank.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419196685.332747.jpg

And got a 29 for my daughters Goldies. She gets to decorate it.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419196755.882801.jpg

Tank is very nice work and the canopy too is impressive. You should post a build thread and start with the beginning info and pics progression!

After some modification, I finally got the canopy on and made the doors today. They still need stain and clear.

Also have my first inhabitants! 2 Ocellaris, 10 scarlet hermits, 10 Margarita snails and 10 Cerith snails. And a ball of Chaeto in the fuge with pods.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420421500.518697.jpg

Got my LEDs mounted. Now I REALLY need to finish the doors, LOL!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420505334.273041.jpg

Lights remounted, programmed, and the canopy is officially done (finally)!
:D

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421196511.845267.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421196525.108570.jpg

Back
Top Bottom