Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Overwhelmed in New York

Hi, I am probably your worst nightmare, but I will give this a try. My name is Bek and I "inherited" a twenty gallon salt water aquarium and I have NO IDEA what to do now! By "inherited" I mean, it was going to thrown away if no one took it, so I stepped up. I work at and with a local SPCA, and I handle a lot of cruelty cases...to make a long story short there was a hoarding situation...mammals were taken and cared for, but the tank was going to be thrown out. Having several fresh water tanks in my home, I thought...I can handle this...why kill a wonderful ecosystem....UGH... there is just so much info....and I know no one with a salt water tank.
Let's see, 20 gallon tank with 6 smallish live rocks...yes there are greens, blues and reds all over the rock so I am assuming they are live...also a tube worm, super small came out a day an a half ago, but no "action" since then. There is one domino damsel...feeding Omega One tropical saltwater flakes around 3 times a day for about 2minutes....there are two "air stones"...the water is the same that was in the tank before moving...it is very clear...lots of salt.... I guess I am just looking for some simple instruction on what I should be doing to sustain this tank.

earthfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
welcome to AA,im pretty sure damsels get to big for a 20,but im not sure(100% freshwater here)

nearly a year of complete inactivity and still over 4 posts per day. dedication, eh?
alLexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AA! I don't know much about saltwater, I'm all freshwater advice here. Maybe a mod could move this to the saltwater disscussion for you and you'd get more help there
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome Aboard!

I agree that getting all your info together and starting a thread in the SW getting started section with as much detail about your setup would be your be course of action.
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to tough cookie
Don't feel bad I just recently like 2 days ago, have begun to turn my 55 gal into a salt water tank.. I am praying I haven't made a bad decision. I am having major issues with my water being so cloudy as it is trying to settle itself and start a good cycle before I EVER add any fish. the mixing of the salt and water u have to add ever so often is pretty simply explainable so there shouldn't be a problem there for you
tough cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com