ph issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EspantaTiburon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Forum,

I just set up a new 10 gallon tank three weeks ago, I did a fishless cycle with Nutrafin Cycle four days before adding my fish, 1 Betta, and 3 platies. Two platies have died:cry:, and the Betta seems happy, the remaining Platy seems sick. Yesterday I tested the water and the Ammonia was 0ppm but the ph was 7.6. (Not sure if higher).

7.6 is the maximum measurement in most of ph test kits and anything above that will give the same color (blue). I have read on Internet that 7.6 is OK for most fish, I am confused and do not know what is killing my fish. :banghead:

How can I know if I have a higher ph in my tank? and if so how can i lower it? Please help!!.

You may not need to lower it. They sell high range test kits if you really want to find out what your pH is.

What are your nitrate and nitrite levels?

Hi. I very much suspect that your tank is not cycled and, as above, you really need Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings to assess whether your tank is cycled or not.
In the mean time do large water changes with conditioned water if your fish are still alive.
If you have unfortunately lost your fish then do a proper fish less cycle which usually takes weeks rather than days. Then your new fish should thrive.
You can't rush cycling or take short cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom