Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello everyone newbie here. I've keep small tanks in the past, right now I have a 5 gal. With a blue gourami, ghost shrimp, bala shark, a fast growing cray fish, and the eldest is a sucker fish, ok ok that's not his name but that's where you come in. I'm an amateur eager to learn, so what is the technical name of my bottom feeder? Just recently I treated myself to a special treat, I've always wanted to have and hold, a big beautiful aquarium, thanks to petco I snagged a 40 gallon breeder at a steal $10 a gallon. Along with that I bought a canister filter, I have since set it up, no gravel, no plants, no fish, yet, I do want to create a sexy, creative, and fun tank for me, my partner and 4 yr old daughter to enjoy! I'm reading, and absorbing, and learning, and would appreciate this community support through myendevours. Next step heater, gravel, test kit, thermometer, soon after decorations and plants, but what plants do they need special lighting? I want to keep a tropical tank is a normal 150 watt heater good as suggested by petco? I have so many question, so please save me the questioning, send me your advice, suggestions, I am a student in this aquarium world! Looking to hear from everyone! Thank you -piscean22

Piscean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
first of all, bala sharks need a much much larger tank then 40 gallons, i think 75 is the bare minimum for 1! and they do best in schools of 5 or more. im assuming you know about the fishless cycling becuase you have had tanks before. do you plan on having live plants? if so, you would need lighting to suit the plants you buy. and somtimes root tabs for plants like swords and crypts. do you know what kind of "sucker fish" you have? it is most likely a common pleco which can reach 18 inches and up. so if you would like to keep those fish you should plan on upgrading in the future. best of luck.

zach_1_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Im sorry, thats actually a baja shark and it grows only 10 inches, so im ok! lol You got me nervous there a sec, but thank you. I do want to grow plants but never have, i should be picking up my gravel, substrate, and heater this week, and then decisions decisions, I really like the look of drift wood, and rocks, covered in mosses, and all the plant coverings, im gonna go slow, and see how it goes!
Piscean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to the forum.

I looked up baja shark, and there is no such thing. You most likely have a bala shark, and you will need a MUCH bigger tank. Here is a good article:

Bala Shark Care

You also probably have a dwarf gourami, and he will also need a bigger tank:
dkpate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That is a lot of fish to have in a 5 gal tank... I hope you plan on moving some of them over to the 40 when it is ready.

I would suggest posting some individual questions in the different areas here. You will get lots of responses from folks who know those areas... the general FW area, the getting starting area, the plant area, etc.

Best of luck!

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com