Planted Aquariums FTW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suenell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings! I'm new to the forums. I was doing searches last night about some info & came across this nice site. Thanks for having me!

I'm not much on frequenting forums but will look forward to reading & learning from y'all, which I have already!

My husband & I recently moved from FL to AR & for our nice big bathroom we decided to go with a fish theme & bought a small 1.5 gallon for between our sinks & got a nice fat Goldfish for it. A few months later I had to have a 5 gallon for next to our tub in which I put some lovely Guppies, a couple of Mollies & some floating mossy stuff & a sword plant.

I have owned aquariums on & off since I was about 9 years old so I was really looking forward to having something much bigger. Just under a year ago I found a great deal on CraigsList for a completely outfitted 55 gallon which we picked up, cleaned up, & set it up between our living room & dining room. I "dove right in" and bought several plants & fish to go into it. After everything settled in, it's been holding its own & doing quite well. We are very pleased with it. I find myself enjoying it more than I do TV!

I know, I stopped watching so much Smallville since I got into the hobby. haha.

Hate to rain on your parade, though, but a 1.5g bowl or tank is no place for a goldie... they need a lot bigger space than that. If someone said it grows to its size of container that's probably because they get suffocated with their own waste and it stunts their growth...

Thanks for the advice Rosenweiss! I'll move him into something bigger then. Would he be ok in the 55 gal with other fish? What would be good for that 1.5 gallon?

You wouldn't want to put a goldfish into a tropical community. They have very different needs. Goldfish require much cooler water. They also grow very large and quite quickly. I'd recommend at the very least a 20g.

Tropical fish will probably be more agressive than your goldie, apart of the temp issue. You can use the 1.5g as a pot for a plant, its really not suitable to keep fish comfortably. Besides you have the 55g focus on that. Upload some photos to check it out.

If you wanted to, you can probably do 1 betta in a 1.5 gallon. That's the only fish I can think of that would be okay in that size. =] As long as you changed part of the water frequently. Before I say anything about the goldie in the 55, what kinds of fish do you have in there an how warm do you keep it? Some tropical fish are okay at cooler temperatures that might suit a goldie. But some also might nip its fins.

Rosenweiss said:
If you wanted to, you can probably do 1 betta in a 1.5 gallon. That's the only fish I can think of that would be okay in that size. =] As long as you changed part of the water frequently. Before I say anything about the goldie in the 55, what kinds of fish do you have in there an how warm do you keep it? Some tropical fish are okay at cooler temperatures that might suit a goldie. But some also might nip its fins.

Which tropicals would be suitable? I was under the impresion that none could coinhabit with a lionhead lets say.

Rosenweiss said:

Not a Betta. They have a minimum of five gallons. A shrimp tank could work. I'm researching right now for a 3.5 gallon shrimp tank. They seem fun.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Goldfish don't necessarily need cooler water. As another member of the forum (Crepe) said, they have been bred for centuries and have become adaptable to almost any water conditions. They can very well live in a community tank depending on the other inhabitants.

Back
Top Bottom