Please help about to give up!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliRob34510

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey.... not really new to Aquariums but I'm having a hard time with this one

I have a used 60g aquarium... for a lil over a month now.... in the begining tjere was an algae eater a gourami and some tetras... tank was clear for at least a week.... then hubby wanted to step it up a notch and add 2 Oscar's which where doing great as they ate everyone on the tank except for algae eater and gourami he also added feeder fish .....after that the tank started to get cloudy... we had a problem with ammonia being high... then we found out out tap water has ammonia in it... so then we fixed that... then the Ph was low... ok... we fixed that.... the tank stayed cloudy almost couldn't see the fish cloudy... the whole time housing 3 baby Oscar's and a Algae eater who died first and showed no signs of thriving when he died... one oscar hung in there and he was thriving... the other kept to it self always hiding in a log... when we added another oscar smaller... but we noticed on the second day... something was going on with its eye.... we figured damaged some how... it turned white but cleared up... but the eye was useless.... all of this will trying to get the levels straight... chemical and water changes.... an then after a water change... the water was clearing up!!!
Then after the clear water.... the Oscar's started developing white spots... body coated.. eyes cover... we treated tank with tetra lifeguard all in one treatment... one by one they died..... hubby drained and cleaned tank..(some one told him with vinegar).... he bought 2 Oscar's and 2 jack Dempsey... and a small piece of drift wood about 6in long...by the next day it started again... this time we tried API Fungus cure... which it looked like it was working... but bythe evening there syptoms were back and the Oscar's were dead by morning.... I took the 2 Jacks out but them in a bucket of deer park... all levels of that water were ok... and the stable and sign of fungus are gone....

Please tell me what to do to fix the tank apparently now it's contaminated !!!

Ammonia 0
Ph7.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrite 0

Too many fish and wrong kinds together.

To fix Ammonia ? Do water changes with Conditioned , temperature matched tap water.

Stop adding fish.
Stop trying to keep feeder fish IN main tank.

Stop.

Do your homework.

A 60g is large enough for 1 Oscar. ONE !

They grow fast. Avoid feeding Goldfish. Good way to introduce Parasites and disease.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/oscars-article

Leave Ph alone.

Read up, return all fish. Cycle your tank and don't buy on impulse.

If an Oscar is the goal ? Change out the water. Add clean, conditioned tap water. Wait 24 hours. Test the water. Read up on fishless cycling.

After tank is cycled. Add 1 Oscar. Feed appropriate , healthy diet. Enjoy your puppy with fins.

If you want to keep a Dempsey ? 60g would be small for 2. But you could try to raise the 2 you have. Read up on "Fish In Cycling ".

If they start to fight or one starts hiding ? Return/rehome one.

If you want multiple fish ? Forget keeping such big aggressive species or buy a much larger tank.

Everyone makes mistakes. Please learn and keep learning.

Are you saying
0 Nitrite
0 Nitrate ?

That's not good.
A cycled tank has 20-40 Nitrate usually.

Your fish are stressed out and illness and injuries are indicators of fighting and stocking wrong fish.

Please stay and read. I'm not actually trying to be mean. I see you are trying to save your fish. Stick around. Search the site.

The ammonia and Ph are fine...typo on the trates..yes 20-40..... the ammonia was high because of the Tap water with high levels(We don't drink it).... my question was how do I treat a contaminated tank.... all levels are fine... and yes we know about the feeder fish and diseases....

And I understand the type of fish... hubby has to learn for his self when I tell him they will kill each other.... right now the Jack and what was Oscar's where only a inch and a half long...
So now I'm just left with 2 jack... which I believe are both males ( from my experience)
Which could be a problem later... I have put them both in clean water and they are fine.. no sign of fungus NOW

****How do I clean a contaminated Tank****

Personally I would clean with bleach water, not a crazy amount of bleach. Google how much bleach per gallon is needed to kill germs and bacteria.

Also it will need to sit in tank for a certain amount of time to do the killing of the bacteria.

Found this too which may be useful

BUT

You will need to clean under rims and all nets and any buckets, hoses, tubing for air (or replace), tubing used for pwc too, air stones replace, filters and any other items that were used in the tanks.

AND

Rinse all several times including under the rim and edges, etc.

Thanks Autumsky.... it worked... fish are doing great.... no signs of fungus!!!.... Really appreciate that

Back
Top Bottom