Pregnant Guppy Please Help.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BabyDoll

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a some guppies. One is really big and I can see the black eyes I guess of the fry through her abdomen toward the back of her and I'm thinking she looks squared off. I have read and read many sites. But I'm still really worried I had her in my 80 gallon tank with the rest of the guppies at first. Than I moved her into a small 5 gallon tank alone. I'm worried about her now because she seems upset. She is just staying in the very top corner. Will not eat since I moved her. I moved her because I want to keep the small fry. And the others in the big tank were bothering her and staying right with her none stop. But I am really worried. I don't know what to do really.... Should I leave her by herself or move her back? Any advice would help at this point......

Sometimes they don't like getting moved and they are stressed about giving birth and then getting moved. Are there plants for cover in the new tank?

The fish will feel more calm if the lights are off and they have cover. Also the babies will be safer. Mom might eat them. I would feed her TINY amount during birthing IF she will eat it. If she isn't hungry, of course less likely to eat fry.

Check your temp in the tank to make sure it is like the other tank. I don't mean to sound callous, but over time you will have so many baby guppies you won't know what to do with them all, even if you leave them in a tank with other fish! Providing you have cover for them.

I like Hikari First Bites for my baby fish, also some of the New Spectrum with garlic smashed up mixed with the First Bites and maybe some other quality food smashed up.

Good luck on the babies. It can take up to a day or so to drop all the fry.

Is your 5G cycled? If not you will have to deal with that. And do you have a pre-filter or cover over the intake if you have a filter in there. A new knee high panty hose rinsed out will work as a cover.

Sometimes they don't like getting moved and they are stressed about giving birth and then getting moved. Are there plants for cover in the new tank?

The fish will feel more calm if the lights are off and they have cover. Also the babies will be safer. Mom might eat them. I would feed her TINY amount during birthing IF she will eat it. If she isn't hungry, of course less likely to eat fry.

Check your temp in the tank to make sure it is like the other tank. I don't mean to sound callous, but over time you will have so many baby guppies you won't know what to do with them all, even if you leave them in a tank with other fish! Providing you have cover for them.

I like Hikari First Bites for my baby fish, also some of the New Spectrum with garlic smashed up mixed with the First Bites and maybe some other quality food smashed up.

Is your 5G cycled? If not you will have to deal with that. And do you have a pre-filter or cover over the intake if you have a filter in there. A new knee high panty hose rinsed out will work as a cover.

Thanks so much.....yes I cycled the 5g before I put her in it. And there is plants and a little tank decoration thing she can get inside of if she would. And the temps are the same on both tanks. She still just sits there in the same spot. And also since I put her in the small tank, all my other guppies are now swimming around the bigger tank as before they stayed right with her at the top. And both tanks have plenty of oxygen. I thought at first that may be the reason they stayed near the top. But I think she just likes to stay at the top. Now do you think I should leave her or put her back in the big tank? And as you said I should have plenty in no time. I feel bad for her alone and I feel like I'm making it worse on her by moving her. Should I leave her in the small tank you think or put her back in her home. The only way she will move is if I put my hand towards where she is sitting in that corner. Then she darts around till I move away. I feel terrible about moving her now.

Oh and the intake is covered.

Give her a little while/couple of days, see if she will drop the fry for you. Then get her back to her friends. Sometimes we do things for their(their babies) best interests even though they don't like it. Just like parents do for kids!

Don't worry. I moved my first guppies a few times and it was fun to see them...... Can turn into a big headache with too many, unless you have someone wanting to trade them out for you. lol

I thought I got rid of all my extras and turned out I didn't and those left over stragglers hiding in the plants turned into 130 guppies after several months!!! :facepalm:

If you don't move them sometimes the males just follow behind the female eating babies, :eek: Either way being chased by the others would stress her too.

Give her a little while/couple of days, see if she will drop the fry for you. Then get her back to her friends. Sometimes we do things for their(their babies) best interests even though they don't like it. Just like parents do for kids!

Don't worry. I moved my first guppies a few times and it was fun to see them...... Can turn into a big headache with too many, unless you have someone wanting to trade them out for you. lol

I thought I got rid of all my extras and turned out I didn't and those left over stragglers hiding in the plants turned into 130 guppies after several months!!! :facepalm:

If you don't move them sometimes the males just follow behind the female eating babies, :eek: Either way being chased by the others would stress her too.

Thanks so so much..... I feel a lot better now. And I did as u said I turned the light off and for the first time ever she is in the back corner right above the gravel. I think she may be trying to have them. Thank you so much. And yes someone is wanting them. That's crazy 130 guppies. I would not know what to do. In the past like two have survived that's why this time I decided I would try to save them. But thank you your advice was really helpful.

She may be just sleeping or resting but at least now she seems to be relaxed. I really appreciate the help. And best of all it worked.

She is prolly not eating because she is ready to have them yes moving her to a new tank maybe just have a little bit so she made me wait a day or so extra but she is definitely ready to have them and also make sure that the water temperature is above 72 degrees the fry like it warm

She is prolly not eating because she is ready to have them yes moving her to a new tank maybe just have a little bit so she made me wait a day or so extra but she is definitely ready to have them and also make sure that the water temperature is above 72 degrees the fry like it warm

Thanks so much. The temp is above 72. She is resting I think now. I'm going to give her a day or so and hope she delivers them soon.

Let us know how it turns out!

I have someone who takes them from me. We trade stuff. Also I now keep them separated by girls and boys for the most part. Every once in a while a female looks so colorful as a juvenile and turns to not be a male so we end up with some extra fry!

Back
Top Bottom