Problem with white spot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig4531

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I have been keeping fresh water fish now for 6 years, my tank was 60 litres, I have started up a new tank a few months ago now introducing danio's to get the cycle up and running. All was going very well have over 10 good astablished plants in there a few snails and doing often api tests testing well.
So i went to the local aquarium shop and chated to them of my set up and advised me on different fish so I got some clown loaches and some dwarf guarmis, after 1 day i discovered WHITE SPOT... Went I went back to the supplier, very appologetic advising me, free of charge, King British formula WS3, I have been doing as the instructions say and after 9 days with water changes ect, I today found it has spread to other fish and looks like it is getting worse. Can anybody advise me, The aquarium centre tells me not to raise temp as this can make things worse when lowering and tells me not to feed the fish and not to use salt and keep the light off.
I am confused can anybody shed any light!!
I am very new to forums by the way..:ermm:
Thanks lots,
Craig

I had this same problem but I use a product called super ick cure... And it worked no more white spots never again... It's a good product the only thing Is that is gonna dye ur stuff in blue... -.- but its a good product at least my fish are not dead... ;) I recommend it.. Just follow instructions it's easy

Thanks for that noob will check out that product, I forgot to mention that my tank now is 250 litres if that makes any difference and have a Fluval 306 eternal filter, I understand that I have to take the carbon filter out.
Cheers

Thanks for that noob will check out that product, I forgot to mention that my tank now is 250 litres if that makes any difference and have a Fluval 306 eternal filter, I understand that I have to take the carbon filter out.
Cheers

Yes u do have to take the carbon filter out.. And I don't know if u have seen salt for freshwater fish.. It helps a lot ur fish, it prevents them from get stressed due to the medication.. And it helps them to have a better gill function... So is not bad using "freshwater salt".... And u have to do water change of course.. Any question just send me a message and I will help in what I can..

And I wanna add... There is no problem in using the salt for freshwater fish when using medicines... So don't worry about that..

Yes I recommend first add the salt... Then wait for a couple minutes and add the medicine... U will see instructions in there so u re not gonna get lost... :)

Hi

I had the same problem with my EBR's, after looking around on here I decided to treat only with heat, I upped the temp for three weeks never lost a fish and they are all fine now.

Maybe try the heat first before adding all kinds of stuff to your tank

Hi

I had the same problem with my EBR's, after looking around on here I decided to treat only with heat, I upped the temp for three weeks never lost a fish and they are all fine now.

Yes thats a good idea... Too.!!
I decided to put medicine on mines because it was too advanced...

Hi

Heat will help the parasite's life cycle to go faster.. Plus heat kills the parasite because it cant live in a too warm tank...

Hi, just to let you know I solved the white spot issue finding that the raising the heat to 83 worked, I lost all the Tiger Barbs tho, the shop said they will sort me out for the trouble so will see.
Thankyou all for your help and advice.
Will keep posted!!

Hey good to hear about the white spot, shame about the barbs tho :(

One of the most effective treatment for white spot is to raise the temperature in the aquarium to at least 80 degrees. This speeds up the life cycle of the parasite and quickly makes it free swimming where it is then able to be treated by the medication. It should be noted that the medication is useless until the parasite has reached this stage in the life cycle. A good medication is something that contains Malachite Green. Be warned if your fish are scale less fish you will have to half the recommended dose. You also must remove your carbon filter as it will observe the medication. Keep repeating for at least ten to fourteen days.

Back
Top Bottom