Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joye Suzanne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thank you for the add, I am looking forward to some interesting conversations, and learning more.

Can anyone please advise me on what you might do in the follwing situation?
I have an aquarium stand that is 33” L by 14 1/2” wide. The tank that I wish to stand on it is a 40 gallon, bowfront, 30” long by 12” wide except at the middle of the bow, which is 15 1/2” wide. I am wondering whether I need to place a wider support on top of the stand to support the tank? How much pressure would that 1” overlap in the centre put on the filled tank?
Thanking you in advance.

Welcome to AA!
A sheet of plywood cut to the footprint of the 40b should work. As to how thick, not so sure.

Thank you Fresh2o, I am thinking at least 1/2”, maybe 1” ? Just not sure either about the pressure on the tank, it’s a nice cabinet stand, so would probably try to make the support look like part of the cabinet. It’s the lazy part of me that wonders if I can get away without added support!

I definitely would not advise putting any undue stress on your tank. Make sure your tank is well supported. I suggest making a trip to your local granite supplier. They often have small pieces of granite left over from counter-top installations and can probably cut you a piece to fit. That should provide more than adequate support and will also compliment the look. Do it right and you'll be glad you did. Good Luck (y)

Back
Top Bottom