Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Question from new Aquarium owner

How strong should the water current be in the tank! I just put fish in on Saturday (starting with cherry barbs) and I put a betta in, we are waiting to add some Angel Fish in a couple of days. The poor betta is just being pushed around! The smaller fish seem used to it. I am brand new to Aquariums, my father in law gave his to me and set it up for me. Just wondering!

smoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site!
I would post your question in the FW section.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard. As Scott said post your question in the FW section. More people will see it there.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello and welcome -- I am a newbie too and it took me a bit to understand how all this works -- The other posts were correct in telling you to post your problem in the Freshwater Forum - In case you don't know where that is (it took me a while to find it) Click on Forums it is located on the left about a quarter way down the page next to User CP and Articles - scroll down - past the saltwater forum until you reach the freshwater/brackish forums and post there --- You should also tell us what size tank you have and what equipment is running on it --- Welcome again
warped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Location: Tired of the mod power plays; gone to another forum
Unlike saltwater a strong current isn't necessary for freshwater aquariums. Mostly you want enough current to move water around the aquarium so the filter(s) can turn the water over and filter out the suspended stuff. It also helps limit algae growth to some extent and helps move whatever makes it to the bottom around.

On my 30 I have the return from my canister filter and one powerhead attached to my UGF. With that some of my smaller FW fish struggle to get to the surface when trying to feed though they seem to like to hit the current and surf the wave. I have the powerhead pointed at the front glass and I never see any algae on the front or sides.

If it's too much, there are ways to offset it also. What size tank and what filters/powerheads do u have?
tawolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA! Very happy that you are here and looking forward to your posts.
AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to Sahabo Send a message via Yahoo to Sahabo
Hello there and welcome to AA! Yes, do post in the freshwater section. People here are very responsive and helpful!

In the mean time... I also have a betta and I am using a sponge filter for tanks up to 10 gallon. The current was initially too strong, so I reduced the flow by putting a T-valvle on the airline tubing and adjusting the air flow.

Post in freshwater/getting started or general discussion threads and let us know what your setup is, tank size, type of filter, media, etc.
10 gallon:1 Betta, 4 otos, 3 Rasbora hengeli
5.5 gallon: 2 otos and 3 Emerald Eye Rasboras
Sahabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
It sound like your tank is brand new, if so you may want to hold off on the angles and try to take the cherry barbs back to the LFS because you need to cycle your tank. If you don't know what this is go to the freshwater getting started forum and read the stickies at the top.
Cherry barbs can be vey aggresive and nippy, bettas don't usualy get alond with anyother fish that have long or bright fins, but not always you will just have to keep an eye on him.
You did not say what size tank you have but angles IMO need at least a 30 gallon tank, they can get big.
mom2reds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks guys for the responses. I have a 42 gallon tank. Everything is doing well (thankfully). The current has slowed. I have 12 fish right now. We have the betta, 4 zebra danios, 2 cherry barbs, 2 small angelfish, 2 panda cats (too cute), and 1 other small bottom feeder. Delta Pet Store here in Slidell, LA has been great working with me. I check the chemicals, etc. and had to lower the ph. The betta and one of the cherry barbs kindof chase each other around but they look like they are playing. I enjoy this site. Steph
smoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wanted to point out that it is usually better to let the ph alone to keep it stable. When you try to control the ph it tends to give you swings which is very stressful to the fish. that stress can make them more susceptible to disease and parasites which can then in turn lead to death.
I have zebra danios, corys, whitecloud minnows, scissor tail rasboras, and oto's with a ph of 7.8 and they are all just fine. I can't attest to how tolerable your other fish are to the higher ph but i'm sure someone else here can tell you from their experience.

If you put off what you can do today until tomorrow it will never get done cause tomorrow never comes. It's always today.
FishEggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com