Question regarding DIY substrate start-up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hazena

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Went the organic miracle grow topped with play sand route, trying to keep the initial cost down, been about 12 hours since the 25 gallon tank was filled and it is still pretty murky. Didn't rinse the soil, probably should have, i have enough materials to start over but would rather not. Large water change? Ride it out? I've had aquariums since i was a kid, but this is the first live planted tank I've tried, any suggestions on clearing my water up?

Welcome! Is it tannin coloration or dirt floating? When adding water did you put something under the water flow like a plate or bowl?

No tannin, used a natural rock formation. There are floating chucks on the top of the water, but the water column is relatively clear and any floating debris. I tried my hardest to keep the pouring under control. However, my lovely and talented wife did help with just one pitcher......Straight in with the quickness....got pretty **** murky with that pitcher! LOL. Considering a water change and add a little more sand or gravel to the top of the substrate.

Lol. Well that explains it. A partial water change and some netting of the particals are a good idea. Scoop out as much of the floaters as you can. It will settle down. Since you didn't mineralize the soil don't be surprised if you get some tannins leaching out.

Back
Top Bottom