Rainbow Shark, Koi and Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apsl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a new member. I have a 25 gallon aquarium. I have bought a red rail rainbow shark. It's just 1.5inch. Can I put it along with koi and Goldfish? Will it kill them?

Definitely not. For one, the temperatures needed for each would be incompatible. For another, all three species mentioned (although I'm less sure about the rainbow shark) will outgrow a 25 gallon. Besides, I think rainbows can be pretty aggressive at times.

Welcome to the community! It is good to know that you are asking questions about compatibility for the fish, there are so many things to know, and we will help! Good to try out the above link to help understand the different needs of the fish.

A Rainbow shark can be very agressive - really a big part about it is being territorial, just their nature. Normally they would have a MUCH larger territory if in nature than the usual hobbyist sized tank.

Are the GF and Koi going into the 29G??
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Thank you! All. I got this tank from my friend and there are 4 koi carb 4 gold 1 pecto 1 Bala shark. It seems overcrowded

Thank you! All. I got this tank from my friend and there are 4 koi carb 4 gold 1 pecto 1 Bala shark. It seems overcrowded

You are correct on the overcrowding
No carp should be held in a tank that size, same for the bala. Really you could do 1 maybe (emphasis on maybe) 2 goldfish defending the type.

Gold fish and carp are cold water fish, produce huge amount of waste, and get very large. I would regime the carp asap, find someone with a ponf or Maude trade in for store credit, same with the Bala, they get huge.

Are the goldfish fancy?

Today one of my Gold fish eye came off. Her tail fin has red spot too. Can anyone let me know why this happened and what should I do? I have koi, Bala shark in same aquarium

What size tank is it in?

GF can run into pointy items in the tank like driftwood and edges of decorations.

Other fish can attack them, or they can have Pop-eye which is a disease of poor water conditions and lose an eye that way.

What size is the tank,
what other fish other than the Bala
What s your water care/change schedule
and what are the water parameters?

If you do not know what the tank parameters are then do 2 50% water changes with conditioned/ treated temperature matched water.

You need to get a separate tank for the fish and much larger than if it is the 29G.

Back
Top Bottom