re establishing tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cseibolt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Need help...broke down tank to restart, rinsed rock in water, cleaned filter system and added to carbon cartridge (rinsed in clear water first) this is a 40 gallon tank....added water and some stress coat. After 16 hrs. water is a cloudy white...there is crush coral in with the rock didn't add more....any ideas:nono:

Crushed coral is horrible for clouding up a tank like that. Normally it will settle with time, and patience is likely your best alternative.

If you are in a hurry, a canister filter with a micron cartridge will help.

CaribSea makes a clarifier that claims to be safe for everything (inverts and corals included). It coagulates the particulates to make them settle. I have used it after adding "live" sand to a partially stocked tank and had good reults, but it will create a film of "dust" over everything in the tank and if you're running a protein skimmer, it will go into overdrive and need a good cleaning afterwards.

There are several other products on the market as well, but most will end up hanging around your tank and are toxic to inverts.

What kind of tank are you setting up?

Need help...broke down tank to restart, rinsed rock in water, cleaned filter system and added to carbon cartridge (rinsed in clear water first) this is a 40 gallon tank....added water and some stress coat. After 16 hrs. water is a cloudy white...there is crush coral in with the rock didn't add more....any ideas:nono:

:welcome: to AA! :)

First...what kind of tank? If you are restarting and got rid of filter cartridges, my best guess is a bacteria bloom (though I could be wrong) because you just got rid of a whole bunch. When you rinsed them in clear water, was it in tap or old tank water?

Here's something you should read: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Back
Top Bottom