re starting my aquarium hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agwats

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I used to keep freshwater aquariums when i was a kid then went away to school and lived in apartments that weren't fish friendly. i know have a family of my own and live in a nice little house so i decided to restart the hobby of fish keeping. I have aquiered a 10gal, a 20gal and a 30gal from people i know and as of know the 20 is up and running beautifully and im looking into setting up my 30. i have had several fresh water tanks in the past and am not looking to expand into salt water until i have room enough for a large tank (90+ gal). I used advice from this forum when setting up the 20 and decided to become part of the community so i can feed off the vast knowledge base while expanding my collection and add a little of my own experience also.

Welcome! Looking forward to following your setups! I'm in a similar boat as I kept a 30g about 10 years ago and the wife recently wanted a tank for our 3 year old. So I turned a borrowed 10g into the purchase of a brand new 55g that is currently cycling. And I'm working on more :)

the 20 has been up and running for about 4 months, its planted w/ an anubias nana, a couple java ferns and some java moss.

1 Siamese algae eater
6 harlequin tetras
6 pristella tetras

and was thinking of adding some neons

agwats said:
the 20 has been up and running for about 4 months, its planted w/ an anubias nana, a couple java ferns and some java moss.

1 Siamese algae eater
6 harlequin tetras
6 pristella tetras

and was thinking of adding some neons

Nice stock! IMO u r fully stocked because SAE'S can get to be 8 inches LONG. If u want get some MORE plants. :)

Nice! I'd like to do some live planting but have little knowledge of it as I've just begun reading up. I'm also having a stocking crisis as we can't decide what we want to do!

Decisions, decisions.

The Jam-is-on said:
Nice! I'd like to do some live planting but have little knowledge of it as I've just begun reading up. I'm also having a stocking crisis as we can't decide what we want to do!

Decisions, decisions.

A 55 gives you so many stocking options... my dad has a nice one w/ several species of tetras in medium to large schools. I had some Oscars in a 55 that worked out well

jetajockey said:
I've not seen any SAE's that even get close to 8", where did you hear that?

I agree, more plants is always a great idea!

I said that they CAN get to 8 inches and my local FS said that they CAN get that long. Normally they are 6~ inches, but still IMO u don't have enough room for another school.

I'm not saying they can't, just not something I've ever seen with mine or in any research I've seen. There's several species that are often listed in the LFS as SAE, so there's no telling exactly what it is without further research. Thanks for letting me know though.

Assuming it's a 20H and not a 20L, I would say there is some room for a centerpiece fish, a small gourami or even a small school of dwarf corys.

Back
Top Bottom