Ready to salt again, this time in New Jersey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c8h12n4o3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I'm Jason, 31 yr old aquarium junky, who has finally settled down to start his hobby/addiction again. I'm really looking forward to scraping coraline from the glass again, but didn't want to hop into the hobby again until I saw what was new. I'd also like to get my wife interested in this also, so I'm gonna include here in the whole mess ;).

I started my first SW aquarium in Alaska around early 2000. I began the wrong way and spent about $400 to much on needless equipment, maybe more. After reading, chatting, and many water test later...oh yeah...and lots of waiting, I finally was able to maintain a perfect tank for about three years. Since everything was going so well, it was sad to find out I would be moving south to Arizona in 2004. I stayed away from aquariums until I new I would be stationary for more than a couple of years. Finally, here in New Jersey, I find myself with enough time to start again.

Everyone has the system that they stand by and mine was a 55 gal tank with a 20 gal refrigum. Overall the entire system contained 100lbs of sand and 60 lbs of live rock. I had lots of macroalgae in the refrigum and I thought it was just as beautiful as the show tank. The only unnatural filter I had was a skimmer which I ran overnight once a week. The tank contained some yellow tangs, mushrooms, polyps, bangai cardinal fish, snails, cleaner shrimp, serpent star and a sea urchin. All were healthy when i sold the entire system to my roomate in 2004. I stuck to the more hardy fish and never strayed from those types. At the beginning, I couldn't even keep damsals alive.

I hope to find out any new developments in saltwater through this forum and maybe learn how I could improve upon my future system. I want to try a smaller set up first and am open to any suggestions.

Thanks..

Jason

Back
Top Bottom