Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi im a new member and need some advise we have a red tail shark and it started jumping up out the tank. Luckily the lid is on. Is it normal for them to do this

Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Look It Up

Yes it's normal for them to do that, so the lid is a good idea. Fish will often try to leave the tank if the environment isn't to their liking as well. Is this a new tank? What size tank and what other fish do you have? How long has it been set up? Have you checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate lately?

Welcome to AA, by the way!

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum, its normal as already stated. I lost mine when it jumped out and I found it behind my tank

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Welcome to the forum, its normal as already stated. I lost mine when it jumped out and I found it behind my tank
Same thing happened to me when I was a kid. Same shark jumped out a couple times before I got a lid - I was able to rescue him a couple times before he made the leap when I wasn't home and dried up in the carpet.

Welcome!
Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post
Yes it's normal for them to do that, so the lid is a good idea. Fish will often try to leave the tank if the environment isn't to their liking as well. Is this a new tank? What size tank and what other fish do you have? How long has it been set up? Have you checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate lately?

Welcome to AA, by the way!
It's a 90lt tank. Its a new tank. We have had it 2weeks. My husband went to pets at home they sold him 1 red tail shark 3 tetras and 3 barbs. I have been told these are the wrong starter fish.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04adele View Post
It's a 90lt tank. Its a new tank. We have had it 2weeks. My husband went to pets at home they sold him 1 red tail shark 3 tetras and 3 barbs. I have been told these are the wrong starter fish.
Unfortunately yes. That's about 24 gals which is too small for a shark long-term. What kind of barbs? If they're tiger barbs they can be aggressive so would need a larger group and a 24 gal is a bit too cramped for that. Can you return the fish?

In the meantime, you may want to read up on cycling. If the tank is new there's likely toxins in the water that need to be fixed. These guides should help:

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
red tail, red tail shark, shark, tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com