Renewed Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaphia1

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I was growing up, we had a 30 gal tank with artificial plants and decor. When I moved out I lost my tank and didn't have the means to purchase and maintain one myself. I am finally able to do so now, and obtained a beat up 10 gal. I decided to do live plants and have recently started to get in to breeding as an additional challenge.

I have aqueon led lights, a marineland bio wheel filter, and an a 50W heater. I also recently added a sponge filter.

Plants: Anubis fern, bog leaf, moss ball, and one other I don't know

Currently I have three guppies, one male and two females. And I also have a single male platty. Tomorrow I will receive a shipment of 10 red cherry shrimp that will be assimilated into the tank.

I also have 1 gal maturation tank set up using aquaponics.

I'm looking forward to enjoying interacting and learning on this forum.

welcome to AA! and back to the hobby! :) unfortunately your going to need more than 10 gallons if you plan on breeding, and imo platies aren't suitable for a ten gallon. one gallon is definitely not going to be big enough for a fry grow-out tank. your guppies are going to produce new fry about every 20-28 days and its going to add up very quickly. i suggest finding a few 20 gallon tanks on craigslist for cheap and go from there. fry need to be fed at least 3-5 times a day and that means much more waste and more water changes. having more water volume will give you a huge advantage. you are also going to want a ratio of 1 male to 3 females, otherwise the males are going to either stress the female to death or stress her to where she gives birth to deformed fry. breeding guppies is extremely easy but you need the right equipment for them to thrive

welcome to AA! and back to the hobby! :) unfortunately your going to need more than 10 gallons if you plan on breeding, and imo platies aren't suitable for a ten gallon. one gallon is definitely not going to be big enough for a fry grow-out tank. your guppies are going to produce new fry about every 20-28 days and its going to add up very quickly. i suggest finding a few 20 gallon tanks on craigslist for cheap and go from there. fry need to be fed at least 3-5 times a day and that means much more waste and more water changes. having more water volume will give you a huge advantage. you are also going to want a ratio of 1 male to 3 females, otherwise the males are going to either stress the female to death or stress her to where she gives birth to deformed fry. breeding guppies is extremely easy but you need the right equipment for them to thrive

Thanks for the advice. I won't be trying to fully develop the fry. I just wanted them out of the breeder box so they could grow large enough to make the trip to the LFS. I can trade my fish for supplies there. I'm really looking into breeding for the entertainment, not to create a dynasty or breeding operation. Besides, 10gal is all my wife will let me invest at this point. I have resolved to consistent monitoring and water changes at this point, of that I am aware. But hopefully the plants, shrimp, and snails will help balance the mess as well. :)

I did however get two more females today, and they are obviously already pregnant. So perhaps this fry tank will have a test run sooner than I thought...

I wish that the LFS would pay more for the baby guppies than they do.

Right?! I asked today, and the lady told me that they don't like money to trade hands when people are selling fish. Dumb. But they already told me that they get most of their fish from private breeders. I might try to find another one who will give money for fry...at least something...

Back
Top Bottom