Resetting up an old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnickelson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, just resetting up an old tank and looks like a great place to get some ideas and advice.

Currently working with a 45G freshwater tank with a minimalist start...just gravel, an air bubble tube, a back of the tank filter, light and a couple of tetras. Really interested in finding a way to set it up with lots of plants, very few fish and low cost/minimum maintenance. Any ideas for types and source of plants, additional materials or plant maintenance advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, and I look forward to reading through others' posts as well.

aquarium01.JPG

Nice tank. Welcome to AA. Did you cycle your tank first? If not there's an article on here about fish in cycling that's very good. I just finished doing the same thing.

dnickelson said:
Hey everyone, just resetting up an old tank and looks like a great place to get some ideas and advice.

Currently working with a 45G freshwater tank with a minimalist start...just gravel, an air bubble tube, a back of the tank filter, light and a couple of tetras. Really interested in finding a way to set it up with lots of plants, very few fish and low cost/minimum maintenance. Any ideas for types and source of plants, additional materials or plant maintenance advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, and I look forward to reading through others' posts as well.

A lot depends on what kind of lighting you have. But if you want to stay minimal/easy care, go to plantgeek.net and look at low light plants.

Did you cycle your tank first? If not there's an article on here about fish in cycling that's very good. I just finished doing the same thing.

I didn't...just followed the (bad) advice I'd been given when I set it up last time of putting in the balancing chemicals and waiting a few days before introducing a few fish. It was a good article, and I may have to find a place to keep the fish while I start over, but I was curious if the same process would be necessary if I was going to be 'starting' with a lot of plants, or if it would be necessary at all.

A lot depends on what kind of lighting you have.

Kind of curious how to tell what kind of lighting I have. Currently it's just a 35" 25W Aquarium bulb, and the tank is set across the room (~12') from the nearest window, which will give it some sunlight for about an hour near sunset. I assume this is 'low light'?

I wouldn't have much of an issue increasing the light if there is a benefit (better fish or plant health) and it just required getting a bigger or additional lights, but it looks like there are is a lot of variety in the 'low light' plants, and I don't really want to deal with CO2 installs, or algae problems, so maybe this is the way to go for now.

Thanks for the plantgeek.com link.

Kind of curious how to tell what kind of lighting I have. Currently it's just a 35" 25W Aquarium bulb, and the tank is set across the room (~12') from the nearest window, which will give it some sunlight for about an hour near sunset. I assume this is 'low light'?

I wouldn't have much of an issue increasing the light if there is a benefit (better fish or plant health) and it just required getting a bigger or additional lights, but it looks like there are is a lot of variety in the 'low light' plants, and I don't really want to deal with CO2 installs, or algae problems, so maybe this is the way to go for now.

Thanks for the plantgeek.com link.

With 25w, I'd stick to the low light/easy selection listed at plantgeek.net. I too want to avoid co2 and all the ferts needed for a med-high/high light plants so I keep my tanks at about 1-1.5w per gallon. A 55w fixture with a 6700K bulb would be my suggestion for your tank.

Here's a link to cycling with fish and plants or no plants the cycling is the same.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Back
Top Bottom