Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Restarting a Reef Tank

Hello all,

Glad I found this site as it has been very helpful. My background will sound familiar to a lot of people here. When I was a kid, I kept some small 10 gallon freshwater aquariums in my bedroom. After moving to college, I got out of the hobby for a while. I got married, had a couple of kids and then bought a new house. When we moved into our new house, I wanted a fish tank for my den. I decided to go with saltwater and purchased a 55 gallon fish only set up. As I read more and got more into the hobby, I bought another tank (29 gallon) and put a small trigger and a dwarf lion in it. I decided I wanted a bigger tank and went out and bought a 75 gallon tank. As my den looked more like a fish store, I decided to combine them into a large reef tank. I bought a 150 gallon tank (with 2 10 gallon tanks and a 15 gallon tank sump set up)and combined all of the fish. I started adding corals after that as well. All went well for about 7 years and then something wiped out most of my fish. I changed over to a freshwater system for about a year. I was preparing to switch back to saltwater when one morning I woke to find a crack in the back of my tank from top to bottom and water cascading all over my floor. Fortunately, I hadn't made the switch yet. The 150 gallon tank wasn't salvageable, and I had sold the 55 gallon and 75 gallon on e-bay, so I only had my 29 gallon tank. It is currently running with as a fish only saltwater set up as I wait for my 65 gallon (largest my wife will let me get now after the cracked tank) tank to show up at the fish store. I will pick it up Friday and get it set up. Once I have it going, I'll post pictures.

donkuchi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

Sorry about the past tank woes...

Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks HN1,
I forgot to post that I have a 60 gallon pond in my backyard and a 55 gallon freshwater planted tank in my classroom. (The 55 gallon tank now holds the survivors from my 150 gallon freshwater fiasco)
donkuchi19 is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com