Restarting an old hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auxillaryspade

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings and salutations to all you fish lovers out there!

I have recently Moved to Eastern Europe due to vocation, and I am interested in having an aquarium over here. A huge concern I have is the intermittent power effecting my filtration system, oxygenation,and flow cycles for my tanks. I am contemplating doing a soft corral tank, or a live rock tank and breeding Perculas. I think either would be fulfilling for me.

My biggest concern is filtration. If I do a soft corral tank I really cant do under gravel filtration(not a huge fan of anyways).Gravity filters arent really an option either because I lose power about once a week for up to 8 hours at a time normally under 45 mins. though. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!!!

Hey I was snooping around the forums and was curious is someone could verify that I read this right. You cannot dechlorinate water after your salt is introduced.

Hi there, welcome to AA! How big of a tank are we talking about? If the tank size isn't too large, I would simply reccomend a good amount of live rock, and a protein skimmer. You could also add another form of filtration. The live rock will act as biological filtration, so it actually helps filter your water.

Sorry if this sounds a little confusing, lol.

Hi there, welcome to AA! How big of a tank are we talking about? If the tank size isn't too large, I would simply reccomend a good amount of live rock, and a protein skimmer. You could also add another form of filtration. The live rock will act as biological filtration, so it actually helps filter your water.

Sorry if this sounds a little confusing, lol.

Not at all. I thought about this. but protein skimmer run by flow every time I lose power the pumps would shut off and I would have to calibrate my skimmer. It would also be ineffective while the pumps are off. To answer your question about the tank size it depends if I breed out Perculas or do the soft corral thing. I am leaning away from a soft corral tank because my experience is they are alot less tolerable to sudden changes like that. also live rock and soft corrals alike hate bubbles it eats them(well wears holes through them)! every time a pump start it blows bubbles so the more I think about it the less I like the idea of doing soft corrals. So I am looking at a live rock tank probably over 100 gallons (haven't decided yet) because the heaters will shut off with the power and a smaller tank would lose heat significantly faster than a larger tank. I used to use a gravity filter with a pump water would be reintroduced to the tank in 2 spots substrate and mid tank. I was a huge fan of bio balls unfortunately I don't think that setup is going to work for me this time around. oh I will also have to have a breed out tank for the fries and an additional tank for gestating brine shrimp. I will probably use a culligan bottle for the brine shrimp it worked pretty good last time..

Back
Top Bottom