Returning member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannon72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,
I am a returning member from a few years ago. I have a 20 gallon Tall and a 40 gallon tall. The 20 gallon has only two tropical fish in it. A rasbora and I am not sure what the other one is. I am trying to decide what to stock the 20 gallon with. I do have a high ph, so the new fish would need to tolerate the higher ph. The 40 gallon has 7 Malawi African Cichilds in it. Also the 40 gallon originally had tropical fish in it. But when everything died in there I decided to try the African Cichilds, because of my high ph. However, I am wondering if I should have switched over the decor and substrate to something finer for the fish. Thoughts?
Also, just curious what everyone thoughts are on Eco Bio Stones. I was debating about adding them to my aquariums.
Thank you in advance for you advice. I am singing off for the night, but I will check back tomorrow.
Shannon

Attachments

• A19D673F-13FC-4570-AA69-ABB86029A81C.jpg
    A19D673F-13FC-4570-AA69-ABB86029A81C.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 7459AE35-FC20-498F-8E60-74EC1EE7D8D3.jpg
    7459AE35-FC20-498F-8E60-74EC1EE7D8D3.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 80
Welcome back!

Thank you everyone for all you advice! This is the info on the Eco Bio Stone that I had asked about.
I wanted to add a picture but for some reason it will not let me post one. The Stone is a porous kind of pink in color. Below is the description that I found on it. I was just wondering if anyone has had any success using it. Thank you. Shannon

Description
Simplify your aquatic water maintenance with EcoBio-Block EcoBio-Stone with Beneficial Aquarium Bacteria. Made from Japanese volcanic rock, these unique, mineral-rich porous stones contain nutrients and beneficial natural bacteria spores that only germinate when organic waste is present in the water. The bacteria help break waste down into safer nitrates to clarify and deodorize aquarium water, and also accelerates the nitrogen cycle. Safe for humans, the bacteria are 100% pure microorganisms found in nature. Calcium and trace minerals are also slowly leeched into the water from the stone to create a healthy environment that requires minimum maintenance.

Key Benefits
Helps reduce aquarium maintenance by keeping aquarium water crystal clear and odor free.
Unique, mineral-rich porous stones contain natural bacteria spores that help break waste down into safer nitrates and accelerate the nitrogen cycle.
Volcanic rock also leeches calcium and trace minerals into the water to create a healthy environment for fish.
Works equally well in both fresh and salt water environments; also recommended for reptile and amphibian habitats.

Ahhh ok. Yes, I seen the stone when I sent you that link. I've never used one so you'll have to let us know how it works. The only thing I would somewhat be concerned with is the leaching of minerals into the water if you already have a significant amount of minerals in your water. Are you using tap water? RO or RO mix? If you are using tap do you know your TDS? Out of curiosity what is your pH?

Welcome back!

Thank you everyone for all you advice! This is the info on the Eco Bio Stone that I had asked about.
I wanted to add a picture but for some reason it will not let me post one. The Stone is a porous kind of pink in color. Below is the description that I found on it. I was just wondering if anyone has had any success using it. Thank you. Shannon

Description
Simplify your aquatic water maintenance with EcoBio-Block EcoBio-Stone with Beneficial Aquarium Bacteria. Made from Japanese volcanic rock, these unique, mineral-rich porous stones contain nutrients and beneficial natural bacteria spores that only germinate when organic waste is present in the water. The bacteria help break waste down into safer nitrates to clarify and deodorize aquarium water, and also accelerates the nitrogen cycle. Safe for humans, the bacteria are 100% pure microorganisms found in nature. Calcium and trace minerals are also slowly leeched into the water from the stone to create a healthy environment that requires minimum maintenance.

Key Benefits
Helps reduce aquarium maintenance by keeping aquarium water crystal clear and odor free.
Unique, mineral-rich porous stones contain natural bacteria spores that help break waste down into safer nitrates and accelerate the nitrogen cycle.
Volcanic rock also leeches calcium and trace minerals into the water to create a healthy environment for fish.
Works equally well in both fresh and salt water environments; also recommended for reptile and amphibian habitats.

TBH it sounds like bit of a marketing job. I’m assuming it’s some sort of something like a porous basalt although the pink colour would be odd then unless there is secondary calcium carbonate. Anyways I’m sure it’s a nice rock but still thinking it’s a rock :) The more basic volcanic rocks would have more minerals than granites, etc which pretty much break down to sand (high quartz). But bacteria and fish waste from the tank will be doing more. Probably nice to grow anubias on though as a thought.

Thank you for your help. I guess I will not bother with purchasing this item then.

Ahhh ok. Yes, I seen the stone when I sent you that link. I've never used one so you'll have to let us know how it works. The only thing I would somewhat be concerned with is the leaching of minerals into the water if you already have a significant amount of minerals in your water. Are you using tap water? RO or RO mix? If you are using tap do you know your TDS? Out of curiosity what is your pH?

Thank you again for your help!!! My ph is 8.2. I do not have a RO System. I am using tap water. Unfortunately I do not know what TDS is measuring in my tap water.

Back
Top Bottom