Returning to fish after a dozen years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wary

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am brand new to the site, and I have been away from keeping an aquarium for about 12 years. I have always kept fresh-water tanks, and I have just purchased the set-up for a new 29 gallon community.

It's a little intimidating to realize all of the things I've forgotten about the more basic elements, like water testing.

This seems like a wonderful, friendly site.

One thing I do not yet have is a heater. Any recommendations? Do people have any opinions on the Theo UL? It seems like a nice one.

Thank so much.

Welcome to AA.

Personally I prefer the old Ebo-Jaeger heaters. The ugly green ones not the newer ones. I've also had good luck with the Tetra brand heaters you can get at Walmart.

Welcome, I use marineland visi-therm stealths. got em in every tank, oldest one is 4 years old. They are cheap and come with a limited lifetime warranty.

Petsolutions.com had em dirt cheap like around 50% or more cheaper then retail stores.

Thank you all, for your warm welcomes, and heater advice. After looking through the forum a bit more, it does seem that these Stealth numbers have rather an avid following.

I do believe I'll be taking that route, given that it's help in such generally high regard.

Try and buy em online, save you some money. I like the fact that they are black, easy to hide, easy set and forget, at the online prices you usually get 2 for the price of 1 retail, never hurts to have a back-up especially since the stealths dont have a power indicator light or idiot light on them.

Does anyone have any feelings on the Hydrokable?

Welcome to AA.

I'm in the same camp as WhiteDevil, the black Marineland heaters work well and hide pretty well, depending on decor.

I ended up going with a 100w Top Fin, which is, thus far, doing a beautiful job. It took me a lot longer than I'd anticipated to get the tank set up, so I'm now just shy of 2 weeks into cycling, and with the heater set on high my tank is maintaining a respectable 85 degrees in the midst of one of the coldest winters we've had for a while (mind you, this is California, so it doesn't tend to dip much below 57 degrees in the house). Once I'm closer to adding fish I intend to purchase a second 100w & keep them both dialed much lower.

Over-all the cycle is progressing nicely. The Ph is a bit on the alkaline side (7.8 as of two days ago), but I'm getting it all evened out.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom