Returning to the Hobby...hello from S.C.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark1959

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello folks!

I left the hobby back around the year 89-90 and have just returned in the past month.
I must say things have really changed!!! Almost like a quantum time warp.

Back in the day I had built a Live Rock salt tank from a 55 gal and used a 20 long for a sump..built my own Bio-chamber/tower with drip fed spray bar from plexi-glass sheet stock..all other components were bought generic and tailored to my system...all plumbing was with 1/2 and 3/4 pvc and matching ball valves...had 6 48inch florescent tubes installed in a DIY hood..ran this set up for 2 years until a severe summer storm killed the power for 5 days....Lost it all :(.:facepalm:
Decided to go Fresh Water with the set up and did so for about a year untill Work required me to travel from home for long periods of time. I sold off my system for dirt cheap to a young fellow who was tickled pink to get this kind of sett up for 100$ usd. I think my rainbow brand sump pump cost that much?

So any way.....I'm back now that I have the time to spend....not much money but lots of time;).

Ive decide to go with a freshwater natural look plant tank this time using a 29 gal. set up. Now I have forgotten most of what I ever knew about Aquariums and water chemistry..:confused:
So I am basically starting almost from fresh once again,...expect me to ask lots of questions as I re-familiarize myself with the hobby

Am also a very much D I Y type guy.....I just like the low tech hands on approach where I can say .."hey,.I built that! ":)
Although the Wife and Grand kids say I'm just cheap:eek:

Anyway,..very nice web community here! Hope to garner and glean some very useful information an update some knowledge, and maybe also be able to share some of my experiences for what they are worth.

Thanx!!

oh and another thing.....I'm just amazed at all the new gadgets and gizmo's and techniques that are being used now.

Welcome (back)! A lot has changed in the last 25 years. I remember when wet-drys were all the rage. Seems like any company that can glue acrylic were producing them. Remember DLS? I had a planted tank with a wet dry back then. DIY canopy and under gravel heating system. Sold it all except for the wet dry which is in the attic.
No more hot, power hungry T-12 or T10 bulbs. LEDs are getting more efficient, effective and feasible for plant growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello Mark,
Welcome back to the hobby .
This forum is a bounty of information and support .
Before you get started ,most people are using sand for substrate .
I saw a you tube vidio were Quick Create multi perpose sand cleaned
up easily .
There are countless vidios on all aspects of the hobby including D.I.Y.
tips on practicely everything .Of course some are of more value then
others .
You can find information on fish and plants on Wikipedia and other sources .
Hope all these sources are helpful .
I am really enjoying researching plants on Planted Aquarium Central.

You found a great place to freshen up the memory and learn new stuff! Welcome to the community. There are many DIYers, cheap or just want what they want or want it done right!!!

Welcome! Great to have you here! It's always a pleasure to see people's nifty DIY creations.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom