S.R. and his Insane Ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi!
Among other names, I'm called S.R. I have different point of views on the finer points of aqaurium keeping then other people. Am I an expert? NO!!! Far from it! I do have a flourishing tank fishwise, but struggle with plants. I never can find that sweet spot of water hardness... Want to know one of my "Insane ideas?" Well, here's one that you may frown on. I often keep shoaling fish in small groups. I'm trying to get them to be more comfortable in small groups. This is in my smaller tank, not my community aquarium. I've been doing this for 5 years, and i still struggle, but one day i'll make my aquarium be just how I like it! :angel:

First off, Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Want to know one of my "Insane ideas?" Well, here's one that you may frown on. I often keep shoaling fish in small groups. I'm trying to get them to be more comfortable in small groups. This is in my smaller tank, not my community aquarium. I've been doing this for 5 years, and i still struggle, but one day i'll make my aquarium be just how I like it! :angel:

Why would you do this? Yes, most people disagree with it because it stresses the fish. Not trying to be rude, but why would you get an animal just to stress it out. The reason you struggle is when schooling species are not allowed to preform their natural behavior it stresses them and weakens their immune system. I would really suggest you stop this practice.

With respect to your last sentence; This is where you have to take one of two paths of fish keeping:

1. Do what is best for the fish and can work for you
2 Or do what you like with no regard to the fish's needs.

I agree with adadkins, your really hurting your fish. if your more into experimentation than caring for your fish than you won't find a good amount of friends here. hopefully you see our point.

Believe me, I get upset watching anything die. I would never do this if I thought I'd kill them. Like I said, i disagree with the finer points of aquarium keeping. What I probably should have mentioned was if I realized this would fail, i would immediately get more of that type of fish. If it will help your peace of mind, i will promise to stop. I have great respect to the experts of this hobby, and if you disagree with what i do, i will try to find outhow you do things, and alter how i do my things. You may not believe my word, but i will not do this again.

No need to be sorry and don't feel like we are attacking you!!! We just want want our friends to do the best for their fish. don't jump off a bridge just cuz everyone is doing it but find a happy medium that keeps your fish safe and you happy :)

I think that the schooling requirements are the best idea, but I agree that they don't ALWAYS work. I've had experience where filling out or keeping schools failed, and--attack me or not--the aquarium that my fish are in is a peaceful, full aquarium with 2 white skirt tetras, 1 rosy tetra, 1 serpae tetra, and 1 longfin danio (the glass cats, however, are kept in a group of 5).

This was started due to inexperience and the lack of room to fill those schools partially, and I wouldn't do it again if I had a new aquarium to start with, but the fact is that it works for now. The fish are social and have good coloring, behavior, eating patterns, and are not shy.

I still agree schooling fish should be kept in schools whenever possible.

+1, we just want what is best for the fish. If you cannot provide the room or won't keep a proper sized school, you should never have such a species...period. These fish thrive with others of their own kind, and just neglecting this is definately not a smart thing to do.

Adadkins, i have never neglected them. Do not presume im a novice. I told you all this was controlled. I wanted to try something. Would you like me to stop keeping aqaurium fish?

Well, controlled or not, I strongly disagree with keeping schooling species in groups less than 5 or 6 fish. I am not assuming you are a novice, it just burns me up to see people not doing all they can to care for their fish, like simply keeping an appropriate school. I do not want you to quit keeping fish, I just want you to do all you can to keep your fish happy.

I've got a considerable amount of experience and would not intentionally keep fish in inappropriate groups. You cannot teach fish unnatural behaviors. I welcome you to the site, but believe your methods are flawed. If you create discomfort or sickness for the fish, then yes I for one would prefer you not keep fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom